Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?

Article about: Please see the photos, 5.5 kilos and looks to be looks to be quite thick for approx. 35cms across Dug from the Somme the seller says, I Welcome your opinions !! Thank you

Default ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?

Please see the photos, 5.5 kilos and looks to be looks to be quite thick for approx. 35cms across

Dug from the Somme the seller says, I Welcome your opinions !!

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?   ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?  

Looks quite different to the examples that I have seen before. Normally there would be a cover for the of the opening - can you see any holes where one could have been attached?

Also looks a little thicker than I would have expected to see.

Andy

I would expect a sniper shield to have a stand or support arm to hold it upright. I can't see any sign of that. Not sure what this is.

?

From a bunker, perhaps?

Jan
    ?

Dug from Somme

Best, Jan

35cm across - approximately 14 inches - is quite small for an armoured shield and would offer little protection to the shoulders, although it might have been used at the observation slit in a bunker - that is assuming of course that it is WW1. The type of armoured shields usually employed in the trenches by all sides, were more to the pattern shown in this picture.

Cheers,
    Steve

Another model :

Picture I took in 1979 !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Please see the photos, 5.5 kilos and looks to be looks to be quite thick for approx. 35cms across

Dug from the Somme the seller says, I Welcome your opinions !!

Thank you
    A bit small to offer much in the way of protection, it does look like a piece of armoured plate but possibly cut down?

Default WW1 Shield installed for trench protection

Da da, we have a photo postcard of this very shield installed.........See below
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?   ww1 German Sniper shield from Somme, what do you think ?  

Interesting image. How did you come across the post card and were there any other descriptions supplied?

If that was a sniper plate and there was a firing hole under the road/area above then the firing range would be a bit limited. And why you would need a sniping plate with that amount of earth in front of you I don’t know.

Happy to be proven wrong but still not convinced it was a sniping plate. The two other bits of equipment would suggest that it served another purpose. Will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Andy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast