Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Airbase - The aircrew barracks

Article about: Hi all Well, despite the weather and me having a bad arm ( ) I decided to pay a visit to my favorite search area. This time however I searched an area I hadn't yet been to, the remains of th

sokkmonkey
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Airbase - The aircrew barracks

It's a quarter of a German dogtag. They were made to be split in half when the owner was KIA, one side had two hang holes, to stay with the body, the other had one hang hole to go with the CO for casualty reporting. This is half of the CO's side. The information was the same on both halves, blood type, (A in this case, RH factor was SELDOM included) Squad info, (in this case NR stands for Nachricht(ens) or a communications company, followed by a number, like our SN, three digits, or four for transferees, corresponding to their company enlistment or transfer number; which is missing.)
    Last line is Battalion and Company level, in this case second light (LE) battalion (BTL) 2~(something something?, In this case the divisional number is broken off at the 2).

Hope this helps.

WW2 Airbase - The aircrew barracks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airbase - The aircrew barracks  

dejacque
    ?

Steve,
    Yes the two round items with the springs are in fact thermostats. My guess they belonged to
    a Willys Jeep, or a Chev or Dodge Army truck.
    I would be be very interested in knowing what USAAF base these items came from. Could you provide this very curoius American with that information. I have been to the 93rd base at Hardwick, #104, which is located SE from Norwich.
    Thanks,
    kent

Sokkmonkey - Sent you a PM.....you need to look at one of my other posts.

dejacque - Thanks mate ! PM'd you

Steve T

dejacque
    ?

Steve,
    Being a Yank, I am a little confused at to the base you are unearthing your goodies. I checked your other post, with no reference to any base, unless you mean Sokkmonkey is a base, if so, ??
    thanks,
    kent

Kent

Scroll up to the very top of this page. Where it says 'Welcome dejacque', at the bottom of that bit of writing it says 'Private messages'. Click on it then scroll the page down and you will see a message from me, to you, that cannot be seen by anyone else !

Steve T

240stevek
    ?

I just want to agree with Luckysrtike.
    The ID tag remains were left by a former POW .
    Always find them Europe.

Hi. Its a little late now but I only just came across this thread. In your picture, unidentified chunks, the piece on far left is the lever from a lock. Usually there would be upwards of 3 at least with each one a different shaped hole so when set in a row only the key designed to open it, would. Francis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2