Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WW2 airbase find - Possible gun sight?

Article about: WOW ! Thanks ian_ My brother will be dead chuffed. Steve T

Default WW2 airbase find - Possible gun sight?

Hi all

For once, and I think this may well be the first time ever, something which I did not find myself, but something my brother found.

When I first saw it I thought it may be from the bonnet of a vehicle, but the more I look at it, the more it yells GUN SIGHT !!!!! at me

It was found on a base used by the RAF and USAAF during WW2 so I can't even narrow down the type of aircraft unfortunately, (of course it may be from a ground mounted gun). I've checked on 50cal gun sights, especially waist gunner positions, and whilst it looks similar, it isn't an exact match.

Anyone narrow it down for my brother and I ?

Cheers

Steve T

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sight perhaps 2.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	166703

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sight perhaps 1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	166704

There is a hole in the centre of the 'sight' but this was taken prior to it being cleaned out.

Default Re: WW2 airbase find - Possible gun sight?

Hi Steve,

That's an intriguing find, your brother must be pleased, perhaps even smug about finding that one.
    I agree it certainly looks like some sort of sight, perhaps when its cleaned up more marks or screw or clip holes may be revealed that will add to evidence to help narrow down the identity.
    I'll follow this post with interest.

LUCKYSTRIKE

He's got it soaking in rust remover as we speak. I'll update this post once it's been cleaned more.

It seems as though he left a number of items behind at the site that he considered as 'rusty bits of crap'. I have told him the story of your rusty hunk of crap that turned out to be a brass lighter ...... along with a number of instances of me taking home rusty bits of crap, only to discover AM codes or, in one notable instance., someones name !

One can but hope he'll learn to take everything home and chuck it away there, if it turns out to be 'true' crap. Whitehunter had to learn the hard way.......let's hope my brother listens to the advice given him from a seasoned digger and takes EVERYTHING home in future !!!!

Cheers

Steve T

Well done to your bro. Lets hope it is a gun sight

you wouldn't even want to here the storys of my old man and uncle throwing 'good' stuff away :P

jrt
    ?

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Well done to your bro. Lets hope it is a gun sight

you wouldn't even want to here the storys of my old man and uncle throwing 'good' stuff away :P

As you can see my brother is not at all patronising! Anyhoo, I've cleaned it up (except for the cross-hairs as these look about to crumble) and the results are below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sight perhaps 3.jpg   Sight perhaps 4.jpg  

Sight perhaps 5.jpg  

Wow jrt you've done a good job cleaning that up it looks great , I'm sure someone will have an idea what its off.
    To help protect and strengthen the cross hairs you could try varnishing them using a matt varnish but if really fragile you should use an aerosol spray varnish rather than a brush.
    Welcome to the forum, good you've joined I look forward to seeing your future finds.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Oops posted that twice
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Patronising ? Moi ?

At least it got you to join the forum !

PB and ian_ may well be able to offer help. They have a superb knowledge of this kind of relic.

Have you soaked it in rust remover yet ? There maybe an ID code under some of that corrosion.

Steve T

?

Nice item! Aircraft sights usually have some sort of adjustment to harmonise with the guns, although that could be on the bead part. Here is a very similar ring on a Curtiss Mohawk:
    Curtis Hawk 75 Part 1

Both the ring and bead are mounted on screw threads for adjustment. Here is the bead bit with an attractive stain on my tiles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bead.jpg  

?

Ignore that, you have a B-13 iron sight from a B17/B24 free mount! It clips on the top of the breech just in front of the handles. Nice!
    Check the photo here for the mounting plate http://www.questmasters.us/sitebuild...1-1202x385.jpg

and the manual piic:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture iron sight0001.jpg  
    Last edited by ian_; 01-02-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast