Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !

Article about: Hey guys Well, our little girl is due any day now so this was my last MD trip for sometime! Turned out to be a good one with what I think is an inspection hatch of some sort from a P-51 or p

Default WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !

Hey guys

Well, our little girl is due any day now so this was my last MD trip for sometime! Turned out to be a good one with what I think is an inspection hatch of some sort from a P-51 or possibly a P-38.

Here is a link to a little film I put together of this trip.....

YouTube - Relic hunting 23rd August final

I spent most of my time on this trip down at the MG/Rifle range that I had identified on my last visit, and also around the location of blister hangers in the hope of finding some aircraft parts.

I had tried searching around the area of the main hanger, but unfortunately the woods next to the hanger (where I expected to get some good finds), were CHOCK full of rusty hunks of metal. I couldn't move a step without the detector going mad. I then re-checked my airfield plan and discovered the blacksmith shop was next to the hanger !!!! Rotten bloody blacksmiths had filled the woods with hunks of metal !

Anyway....here we go with the finds.

Firstly, before cleaning.

And then after cleaning and disposal of hunks of crap.

I couldn't fit the next two bits on the 'after cleaning' shot.

Firstly a light fitting. Normally I wouldn't bother with this kind of thing but this one had some nice markings on it An inspection lamp maybe ? .50cal cartridge included to give you some scale.

I also found this piece of an aircraft. The part number is very similar to the P-51 parts I've found but this piece does not have the prefix code telling me the aircraft type The back still has the remains of green 'internal cockpit' paint. The piece riveted to the back looks like it has been added by groundcrew as the edges are very rough. Certainly doesn't look factory built.

An inspection hatch of some description.

Three odd bits. An odd piece of pipe with red paint still visible. An electrical connector of some sort with two pins. The last item seems to be a cable connector of some sort. May well be from an instrument panel ?

Some more odds and ends.

A grenade base nut dated 1940.....still not entirely sure why they were chucking grenades about on an English base !

A very light alloy 'eye', a half penny dated 1929 and a piece from a razor or hair clippers ?

Now for the best 'spread' of cartridges I have ever found on a visit to this base. I have found all these before (obviously) but not in the same trip !

Biggest first.

The bottom section of a couple of 20mm's. Both 1942 dated.

Now some .50cals. The 'half' case has had a metal sleeve inserted into it.....it is REALLY heavy. Wonder why they did this ?

A couple of .30cals and some M1 carbine .30cals.

.303's

.45 cal and 9mm

Not a bad spread at all !!

And now for the piece that someone maybe able to help identify.

I found this in amongst the MG/Rifle range cartridge finds, at the same depth so I am sure it is the right era. It looks like it was quite an important bit of kit (don't ask me why....just a feeling), and is quite chunky. The picture shows it with a .30cal cartridge so you have an idea of scale.

Could it be part of an MG mount ? Strange little feller......

And that's it.

Wish me luck on my new baby !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !   WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !  

WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !   WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !  

WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !   WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !  

Default Re: WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hey guys

Three odd bits. An odd piece of pipe with red paint still visible. An electrical connector of some sort with two pins. The last item seems to be a cable connector of some sort. May well be from an instrument panel ?

Steve T
    Hi Steve,
    Your piece of pipe with red paint on looks to me like the top of a flash light!! hear is one i found and they look the same apart from yours has been cut up Shame!!!
    I will try and take a better picture for you when i get home.
    P.s good luck with the baby
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airbase - Last trip before baby born !  

iron cross
    ?

Nice finds, I really like the half penny coin you found very interresting. Good trip to leave on and good luck with your baby.

Thanks guys

And 381st.....Nice one ! It is what you said it is ! Many thanks.

Steve T

Gratuitous bump !

Come on guys ! Help ID the 'hatch' and the funny metal thingy with 4 wheels on it!

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Gratuitous bump !

Come on guys ! Help ID the 'hatch' and the funny metal thingy with 4 wheels on it!

Steve T
    That small thing with the wheels on it does look important, I'm just guessing but I think it could be part of the cockpit, well the piece that helps the top slide open along runners so the pilot can get in/out.

Thanks

Danny