MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 aircrew barracks - most recent visit

Article about: Sorry Steve, nothing springs to mind on the dashboard. Cheers, Ade.

Default WW2 aircrew barracks - most recent visit

Hi guys

I have to say that this visit was not as productive as normal for a couple of reasons.

1. I must have now reached a point where I have retrieved most of the buried metal objects in and around the barracks.

2. Some rotten low life SCUM decided it would be a good idea to smash the rear window of my car to nick stuff from it. All they got was, believe it or not, 2 multipacks of chewing gum because I don't keep anything of value in the car. The only thing I can think of is that there was a mark on the windscreen where my Tom Tom was stuck.....perhaps they thought me stupid enough to keep it in the car. Anyway......I hope they were satisified.......the arseholes. It did cut my visit down to a couple of hours instead of my normal 5.

Before this happened though I did have a couple of nice finds and one that could be exciting (for me anyway) if anyone can identify it !

Onto the finds.....

After cleaning.

A couple of strange objects. All three are about the size of a jam jar lid. Anyone know what they could be ?

Now onto what could be an exciting find. It was at the same depth as items I know are WW2 but what is it off ? Anyone recognise it ?

Before cleaning.....

After cleaning.........

Now stuff that I am familiar with

A couple of coins. One is easy to identify but why oh why was there a PERUVIAN coin there ? And what is the cross stamped on it ? Is it a reject from the minting process (the stamp reads Prruana instead of Peruana) or has someone on site done this ? Most odd.

A fork. This was next to an area I know was the station HQ. This perhaps explains why it appears to be silver as it is hallmarked.

I also found another lovely RAF badge along with a US collar/lapel pin and a rather worn RAF kings crown button.

And lastly the cartridges. I don't think I'll ever go to this site and NOT find any ! These guys seem to spread them around the place like blinking confetti !!!! In this shot are a 20mm, a 50cal, a blank 303, a normal spent 303, a badly damaged 45cal and three badly damaged M1 carbine rounds (all from the same hole). Oh....and a 303 bullet

And that's it. I am giving it a break for a few weeks now because the wife said I am getting obsessed If only i could get here as excited as me about the stuff i find ........ oh well

Steve T

Default Re: WW2 aircrew barracks - most recent visit

Great items again, you have obviously found a good spot

What a mob of Pr1cks smashing your window, Really sorry to hear about it, that sort of thing happening really puts a dampener on the day

Cheers,

Grant

?

Steve, don't forget to upload the images to the forum, due of all the outside hosting will make the thread unuseful in future ( pictures lost)
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi Steve,

The couple of discs that are about the size of a jamjar lid are parts of the filter from a ww2 forces issue respirator, or gas mask.

Regards, Ned.

Wow !

Thanks Ned

Will do Dimas

Rick
    ?

Steve, firstly sorry to hear about the scum, shame when you think that lads of probably the same age were being shot to bits during the two world wars.

secondly, Rotax as i am sure your aware are an enginering company and during the War manufactured all sorts, aircraft wind sheilds to wireless sets, and also some small trainer aircraft if my memory serves me well. it looks like a dash/instrument panel may be off a small plane but possibly a small tractor used for towing the ordanance trailers. will have a look and see if i can find any reference.

All the best

Rick

the disk shaped pieces of metal are parts of the exhale valve assembly on WW2 British MKIV, MKV Service Gas Masks, the part with all the small circular holes around is fitted on the outside of the mask, the other part is on the inside, you should go back to the same spot where you found them, theres probably a filter, eyepieces and other parts probably still there.

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    ...............you should go back to the same spot where you found them, theres probably a filter, eyepieces and other parts probably still there.

Ermm....considering the area I have been searching is a good couple of square miles, and i have dug up in excess of 300 items, going back to the 'same spot' is somewhat difficult. And the items you suggest may be there I don't think are 'metal' so how would I know where to dig ?

Made me laugh though I have trouble remembering my own name most mornings, let alone something like this !

Thanks for the info.

Steve (i think) T

Hi Steve, yet another nice haul.

Sorry to hear of the break-in into your car.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade you surprise me !

I thought you might know what that dashboard is off

Steve T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast