Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !

Article about: Hi all Had another successful trip to 'my' airfield although, I have to say, I am getting less finds now simply because I have covered most of the base. I am going to have to find somewhere

Default WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !

Hi all

Had another successful trip to 'my' airfield although, I have to say, I am getting less finds now simply because I have covered most of the base.

I am going to have to find somewhere new to search soon !

I found a lovely plane cast in lead.......by the aircrew ?

And i also found another German button but this one has a fantastic stamp on the back !

I also have put together a little video of me digging stuff up. I'll post a link once it finishes uploading.

Here we go. Firstly before any cleaning.........

And now after cleaning and disposal of bits of crap......

Firstly some bits and bobs. A jar of Shavello cream lather, a couple of jam pot lids, a cap off a bottle (but not sure of what.....name on the cap is 'Scrubbs'), and a Hot tap handle.

A couple of pieces I can't identify. The round brass thing looks like the back off a button. The other item has a hole at the narrower threaded end and you can just make out on the other end, a small ball bearing that can be pushed in......it then springs back in to block the hole.

And a perfume 'puffer' along with some tent rings.

A few spent bullets, .45cal and .303

Now the best two finds....

Firstly a lead plane that looks 'home-made'. It is almost certainly a Blenheim, but I could be wrong ! Did one of the RAF aircrew make it ? It would be damn cool if I could confirm they did !

Now for this little beauty.

Now normally I wouldn't get too excited about a button.

But then again it is German.

Kriegsmarine.

And look at the stamp on the back !! Fantastic !!!!!!!!!!

Now for the cartridges.

.50calibre first. Both unfired. One was complete before I dug it up but I put my spade through it

I moved to a different area on the airfield after a while as I was getting hardly any detections where was. I wasn't having much luck in the new location either until I got a detection near a tree. I dug up a 9mm cartridge, re-detected the hole, dug a bit more, got another one, re-detected the hole, still getting lots of 'beeps', dug a bit more.............

And so on and so on for about 45 minutes all told ! This is what I found in the 'big hole'.

I got.....

Six .38 calibre S & W cartridges

Fifty nine 9mm cartdiges

And twenty one .45 calibre cartridges

I really love the plane and the Kriegsmarine button.....a couple of my best finds from this site.

My next post will be following my visit to the WW2 gunnery range in a couple of weeks time

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !   WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !  

WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !   WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !  

WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !   WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !  

Default Re: WW2 Airfield barracks - More amazing finds !

The video of me digging some of the above stuff up is now available for viewing.

YouTube - Relic hunting july 2009 final

Hope you like it !

Steve T

What an absolutely FANTASTIC posting Steve...magnificent!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

The thing with the ball bearing is a small pressure valve of some type.

As usual Steve, excellent finds!

I particularly like the German button, and the lead airplane model.

Is that pretty much it for that airfield now? What's next? Have you identified any more site?

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    The thing with the ball bearing is a small pressure valve of some type.
    Grease nipple.

Thanks guys

Woody....nah. The barracks are more or less clear now but still plenty of areas to search on the airfield itself. Saying that, I have already identified 3 more likely looking old bases

Steve T

Good good, as long as you've got something to keep you busy.

I've just finished cleaning yesterdays finds... I'll post them now

Lee

Seve,
    Have you ever detected around the old RAF dispersal pans at some of the airfields? I bet there are all sorts of goodies under the ground.

Whittie

On many occasions and yes, there's shed loads of stuff

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast