Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Article about: Hey guys Well i simply couldn't WAIT to post here today, given i have found what i think is the most exciting thing i have EVER found ! I haven't even had time to clean everything properly y

Default Re: WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Great ! We love relic pics here

Steve T

I took a group of friends with metal detectors to the site first used by British Army and then handed over to the the Americans, they found masses of fired .303 rounds as well as a mixture of American fired rounds. Also 16 of the RMC lables that you mention. Most of these were in good condition , made of zinc and stamped R.M.C. Heckmondwike + serial no and date. As they were found amongst spent .303 cartridges did this firm in Yorkshire produce ammo or possibly rations of some sort. It would be good if a forum member near Heckmondkike could look into the company, I too would like to know what they supplied to the armed services
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !  

Second Picture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !  

Nice Blackpowder44. Looks like the item I found....... interesting

Have a look here for the volume of stuff I find in 3 hours at an old WW2 gunnery range I found Sounds like I had the same kind of experience as you and your friends !

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...-take-2-a.html

Steve T

Hi Steve,
    How silly some people get.If it were a crash site the exhaust ports would not be neatly removed with no evidence of mounting bolt's etc.
    They would be torn and mishapen from impact and definately a lot deeper in the ground.I think that would be completely obvious to all but the green eyed monster's who seek only to burst the bubble of the dedicated hunter!

More power too you mate

Tom

Tom

Indeed mate......

The important thing is that I did the right thing and reported the finds THREE times by e-mail and twice by phone. Never got a SINGLE reply. They just weren't bothered at all.

Interestingly, I found three more on my next visit to the site

Steve T

Just bumping this to see if anyone 'new' can help identify the Lockheed cover.

Thanks

Steve T

wHERE ARE YOU BIG NED, ANOTHER OF THE RMC LABELS HAS APPEARED AND STILL NO ANSWER TO THE RIDDLE OF WHAT THEY WERE ON.
    You are right to close this discussion about reporting the finds to some data collecting agency. I had a right goingover on another forum when a holier than thou member slagged off metal detectors as grave robbing gouls and I asked him if he had the funding to search the whole of north west europe battlegrounds, especially if he was going to faff around with a pointing trowel and a paintbrush as in time team.All his teddys came out of the pram at once.
    What you are finding is "Junk" very very interesting junk and reallygood to see your joy at finding the junk. You are doing no one any harm and giving members on here a great visual site as well as getting educational answers. Get to it and more finds on here please. John.

Fantastic finds
    Thanks

Danny

Your Lockheed cover plate is most likley just that. Lockheed supplied amongst other brake parts, the brake fluid. Your plate has a screw fixing hole and a n open "hook", this would have engaged to a bolt fixed to the floor of possibly a vehicle. View it as an inspection cover, when you wanted to refill the brake master cylinder, mostly fixed to the chassis, rail you would loosen the bolt holding the hooked end, pivot your plate sideways and then you would have access to the master cylinger filler nut.Good luck, John.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast