Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Article about: Hey guys Well i simply couldn't WAIT to post here today, given i have found what i think is the most exciting thing i have EVER found ! I haven't even had time to clean everything properly y

Default Re: WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Blackpowder

Sorry mate I wasn't very clear with my 'bump'.

I know what it was used for but have not yet tracked down what it was attached to !

I know that P-38's were stationed at the base I found it so could it be from one of them as opposed to a land vehicle ?

Thanks

Steve T

?

Some 50 calibre bullets....and yet AGAIN another of those damn cut through ones. What on EARTH did the men do this for ? Anyone know ?

relichunter[/QUOTE]

Hello Relichunter,

What a fantastic find! Thanks for sharing.
    I have a theory about the "cut" bullets: They are not cut intentionally, but a result of a misfire (jam). Guns (especially large caliber) can sometimes break the shellcase when fired and leave the bullet in the breach. The gun will not be able to fire again before a mechanic has removed the stuck bullet from the breach. This would also explain why you have so many of them at the same place, i.e. where the mechanic would have thrown them when removed from the breach.
    The clean cut is just a testemony to the massive forces involved!

Anyway, this is my theory

Allan

AllanT

Thanks for that mate One of our esteemed forum colleagues who is in the military has told me about this in another post

Whilst it explains the straight cut through 50cals, it doesn't explain the 50cals cut through at an angle WITH a metal sleeve of some description pushed inside the cartridge itself.

Steve T

?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    AllanT

Thanks for that mate One of our esteemed forum colleagues who is in the military has told me about this in another post

Whilst it explains the straight cut through 50cals, it doesn't explain the 50cals cut through at an angle WITH a metal sleeve of some description pushed inside the cartridge itself.

Steve T
    No probs, glad "my" theory was confirmed

About the angled cuts, I have no idea. Could it be some sort of quality test maybe?

Allan

Allan T

I am more inclined to think they are perhaps making some form of trench art or maybe a cigarette lighter ? (I have found 2 cigarete lighters made from 303 and 30 cal cases on this site)

See what you think....the 50cal on the right is what I am referring to. Both parts found within the same 'hole'. You can clearly see the 'sleeve' in the bottom half of the cartridge.

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !  

?

Hello again,

OK, I see what you mean. It certainly looks purpose made. It could actually be some sort of container to store (or hide) certain items. The two parts could be put back together and protect (or conceal) what was inside. Just thought.

Allan

?

yet again steve some great finds, I've seen some of the flat type Merlin pipes before, that remind me of Bren mags but not the rounds, as to aircraft wrecks it could be a scrap yard for crashed aircraft, there was/is one at Poddington now the Santa pod raceway. All the local wreckage was dumped at one point, even 18 years ago there were still major sectiond of wartime aircraft hidden away, but there if you knew were to look.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

WOW !

Someone found this thread on a search engine and offered me £150 for ONE of the ports

....I ain't selling them

Steve T

I don't blame you Steve!
    Its very hard to part with items you have found yourself.A lot harder than any bought item and i am the same with mine.I have some Dog tags listed in the forum and they were all dugout by me.I now have a metal detector so here we go mate

Tom

?

Re the 50 cal projectiles, RED TIP = TRACER-MAY CONTAIN PHOSPHORUS !!
    BLUE TIP = INCENDERY, MAY CONTAIN PHOPHORUS !!
    Black tip = Amour piercing, hardened steel core
    Without Coloured tip = Ball, lead filled copper jacket
    The one cut ? often known to have been done to confirm it is Amour Piercing

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast