Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Article about: Hey guys Well i simply couldn't WAIT to post here today, given i have found what i think is the most exciting thing i have EVER found ! I haven't even had time to clean everything properly y

?

Default Re: WW2 Airfield.......The BEST visit yet !

Quote by carna View Post
    Re the 50 cal projectiles, RED TIP = TRACER-MAY CONTAIN PHOSPHORUS !!
    BLUE TIP = INCENDERY, MAY CONTAIN PHOPHORUS !!
    Black tip = Amour piercing, hardened steel core
    Without Coloured tip = Ball, lead filled copper jacket
    The one cut ? often known to have been done to confirm it is Amour Piercing
    The head stamps show LC = LAKE CITY ordnance plant
    Others ; RA = REMINGTON ARSENAL, RIA = ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL, WRA = WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS, DM = DES MOINES (Arsenal plant), fa = FRANKFORD ARSENAL

carna welcome to the forum !

Thanks mate......I was already aware of the types and what the markings refer to.....If you look in the ammo forum you'll see a sticky post there by me showing headstamps and what they mean......I am somewhat of an enthusiastic expert

So long as the metal isn't corroded and no part of the core is exposed they are perfectly safe.

And so long as I don't smack them with a hammer ofc

Cheers mate

Steve T

?

Then I guess you know of this site I found by chance the other day?
    USACartHeadstamps

Great overview og headstamps and colur codes.

Carna

Sorry....just re-read your first post

The cut through ones we are now almost certain are 'trench art' projects that never got finished. Most of the ones I find have not been fired and show no evidence of a misfire. Some have been fired and may actually be 'jams' that were removed when the planes returned to base. One of the forum members is on active service and sees cartridges split in clean lines like this on a regular basis.......they split in the barrel and he has to dig them out

Most though are, as I've said, trench art. I've found a number of cartridges made into lighters and, like the picture on the previous page, cartridges with 'things' inserted inside them.

Thanks for the help mate

Steve T

Quote by AllanT View Post
    Then I guess you know of this site I found by chance the other day?
    USACartHeadstamps

Great overview og headstamps and colur codes.
    Yep. About 3 years ago it was one of the first sites I came across and gave me my start on headstamp recognition

I've even got the list printed off in my headstamp file (along with about 10 other lists )

Thanks mate !

Steve T

?

Steve T

Hi, I was talking about the projectiles, not the cartridge cases, which well may have been cut, with trench art in mind, as for the advice, of the stability and retention of any ordnance, containing phos; I am sure the member whom is on active service, might offer you some sound advice, regardless of your enthusiastic DIY knowledge, I would warn against even removing these hazardous munitions from their found location, remember who reads these posts, and realise all our responsibilities, to be responsible, Live ordnance should be reported to the Police

mmm, i would have been on the blower all day if i had to report all the .50s iv ploughed up over the years... until recent years you couldnt walk 50 paces without stepping on one.......
    Lovin your finds, looking forward to the next finds!

By the way Steve, 6 months or so ago i found some interesting engine pieces from a crassed b24, been soaking them in diesel and oil since, kinda forgot about them!!

il post if you wanna see em...

keep up the good work

Sure Gibba !

Get some pics of the pieces posted I'd love to see 'em

Steve T

Steve,

Great finds, you've had some luck there...

As one of the other guys said, go steady with the blue tips they are WP, we found hundreds of them dumped at the ALG outside Carentan a few years ago but left them there.

I have dug up quite a few .50 heads and cases in the field behind our house from when the USAAF were strafing our village, even found some whilst gardening!

Cheers,

Steve

Steve

Thanks mate

I am particularly careful with the blue tip rounds, and do not touch them if the jacket is in any way damaged. So long as the core doesn't get exposed to the air, and they remain relatively cool, they will be fine.

Awesome that you found some stuff whilst gardening ! All I ever find is backaches

Check out some of my other threads........one of them shows the German wound badge I found on an old POW site in the midlands

Cheers

Steve T

PS PM sent

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7