Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010

Article about: Hi guys And here are the results of Day 2 of my 3 day extravaganza ! I found a LOT more this day than the other 2 days combined.....it was almost like I'd never searched the place before. Al

Default WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010

Hi guys

And here are the results of Day 2 of my 3 day extravaganza ! I found a LOT more this day than the other 2 days combined.....it was almost like I'd never searched the place before. All this came from sites I have visited at least twice so it just goes to show how much you can miss !

Before any cleaning.........

And then after cleaning

Ok, the Ford badge is probably modern but I kept it just in case. An electrical connector and a pipe with joint in place (probably from an aircraft engine), and a strange thingy made by Gooyear. Is it some kind of valve set up ? Anyone seen anything like this before ?

Some spent 50cal bullets (I was near the gun butts when I found these) and a couple of 45cal spent bullets.

Now the small plate with the cross on I thought was junk BUT......on the reverse it appears to say 'OK' in the same red lettering AND I have found one of these before in the area near the Gun Butts. So was is used when test firing guns perhaps ? Anyone know ?

The little bottle came out the ground with the little handle thing to the left. Don't know what it's from.

Bits of airframe, all with paint still in place.

The best condition filler cap from a drop tank I've ever had.

Four pennies....takes me closer to my goal of 40,000 to pay for the detector. Only 39,995 to go.

I think this is a cover off some part of an engine. Anyone give it it's proper name ? Nice code number stamped on the inside

A couple of 303's and a 45cal that is a bit odd. It has been fired but the bullet is still in place and damaged.....odd.

20mm cartridges.....well....bits of them anyway ! Not one whole one but lots of parts

And lastly some 50cals....

...and an example of the headstamps....

And that's it for Day 2. A good day !

Will post day 3 later....gotta fiddle with the pictures a little more

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010  

OKW
    ?

Default Re: WW2 airfield blitz - Day 2 - February 2010

Alcoa seems to strike in my mind as a maker of small engines, 2 stroke 4 stoke, possibly ground equipment. The metal pipe and union is probably for hydraulics. The goodyear union could be off an oil/fuel pipe taking little pressure.

ian
    ?

some neatly cut 50cals there the only thing that springs to mind is a metel smith neading brass for some reason
    where you near his shop i wonder
    cheers ian

?

Hi Steve,
    again I would say the Goodyear pipe and union is a hydraulic fitting of some type or other, such as oil pressure or brake flexible line, the other all metal union I would say is aircraft fuel related. As to the Ford badge the style looks of the period so it could be from a civilian vehicle or staff car etc.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Interesting selection again Steve. No idea what the nice shaped cover is, but alcoa stands for Aluminium Company America or similar. It appears on a lot of aircraft castings. (and probably bits of car, fridge etc, but I don't look at them)

ian - Nope....miles away from it I reckon it's bored aircrew making trench art.

Nige H - Thanks for the info

ian_ - Thanks for the info.....just need to track it down to a Merlin engine and I'll be happy

Steve T

PS Anyone any idea what the white bit of metal with the red cross through it was for ?

Quick bump to see if anyone can shed light on 2 items.

1. The engine part 'alcoa'
    2. The white metal square with the red cross on it.

Cheers

Steve T

ian
    ?

the engine part looks like a cover from a thermostat housing
    i dont know which engine though
    cheers ian