Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 3 - February 2010

Article about: Steve. Nice one "Wolverine"! (BTW, going slightly(!) off track, did you know that Patrick Stewart, Prof Xavier, is from Yorkshire?) Now back on track. Some more shots and measureme

?

Default Re: WW2 airfield blitz - Day 3 - February 2010

Steve.

Nice one "Wolverine"!
    (BTW, going slightly(!) off track, did you know that Patrick Stewart, Prof Xavier, is from Yorkshire?)

Now back on track. Some more shots and measurements of that rod wouldnt go amiss.
    Im leaning towards some sort of weapon cleaning rod at present, (both me and my son have similar ones for our air weapons). Does it have a matching internal female thread at the other end and roughly what diameter is it?
    Not sure, but I seem to remember somewhere in the depths of my mind that the bren cleaning kit had a cleaning rod set in it, I know that the armourer at my old infantry unit used to use one in preference to a cord/chain pull-through.

Regards etc

Ian

Jimpy

My apologies....I completely forgot to do the pics and post them up for you !

Yes, there is a female thread on one end, mail the other. It is roughly 0.5 in diameter (see picture). I noticed when I uploaded the photo I have my gauge at an angle so it's probably just less than 0.5inch.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 airfield blitz - Day 3 - February 2010   WW2 airfield blitz - Day 3 - February 2010  

WW2 airfield blitz - Day 3 - February 2010  

?

Hi Steve.

Im still swinging towards this rod being part of a weapon cleaning rod.

Found on an airfield, .5 inch diameter threaded rod. Yeah, Im fairly sure thats what you've got there mate.

Regards etc

Ian

Ian

Cheers mate I am going to see if I can find a picture of a 50cal cleaning rod on the web right NOW !

Steve T

?

Steve ,if memory serves correct there was a solid brass cleaning rod for the bren gun and the wire brush used to screw onto the rod but this may be a standard for most lmg and hmg weapons

Its not part of the CES for a Bren gun, and I dont think its a Browning M2 cleaning rod either, it could be a chamber stick for a Oerlikon cannon.

The DM stamp on the .50 cal stands for Des Moines Ordnance Plant, Des Moines, Iowa.

Thanks m3bobby.

I was aware of the headstamp 'meaning' but thanks anyways

Do you mean Hispano-Suiza cannon by the way ? Oerlikon were usually ground mounted, typically used in the Navy as well.......I always though Hispano-Suiza were used in RAF aircraft ?

Cheers

Steve T

Your right Steve, My mistake, The Hispano-Suiza is the development of the Oerlikon. Theres 2 Hispanos at Ryton Arms at the moment, they were recoved from the Hull estury I believe. They were part of a Spit which someone has recoved and to qualify as original they needed at least 5% to restore. Freddie the Armourer had to soak them in diesal for a month before he could get the breech blocks out.

Theres a airfield near me which I've been thinking of detecting on, (You may have been there!) Would you be intrested?

?

Hi Steve,

The "Clayton DeWandre" plate is probably off a vehicle.

I own two preserved buses - The compressors on both are made by this firm; the heater on one is also from the same manufacturer.

Don

Hatter
    ?

Hi, I can almost confirm 100% that the hollow rod is part of a stove. We had similar ones in my time in the Army, it's threaded at on end to insert into the cap, the lower hole allows fuel to exit the can. The upper hole would allow for air to escape, eliminating a vacuum.

It belongs to the M1941 Stove, Tent.

Similar to the one in the upper right (sorry couldn't find a better photo).

Oil Burner Unit for M-1941 Tent Stove [294101] - $39.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast