Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!

Article about: I've been back again and I've recovered a few interesting finds one of which I've just restored, I'd be interested in any further information you may be able to provide on any of the bits. T

Default WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!

I've been back again and I've recovered a few interesting finds one of which I've just restored, I'd be interested in any further information you may be able to provide on any of the bits.
    The first pictures are as I found the items, they'll be followed by numbered pictures of the cleaned finds with details.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!   WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!  

WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!   WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!  

WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!   WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!  

Default Re: WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!

1) Quite a large panel with much of the original USAF forest green ? paint remaining.
    2) Various pieces of pottery RAF or dated and a strange glass tube with electrical connector ?, water filled now.
    3) The back of a radio or perhaps aircraft control panel made of aluminium also note the battery connector cable.
    4) A large piece of alloy aircraft skin interesting shape was curved, has traces of the original paint which has faded to pink now, assumed originally red.
    5) Interesting but sadly quite rusted. A portable oxygen bottle also known as a bailout bottle. When I cleaned it the base crumbled off.
    5a) A picture of a bottle I found on the net.
    6) I have no idea what this is, marked 8 or B then BR. Being British what comes to mind is British Rail but the tipping site was only used during WW2 and at that time British Railways had not amalgamated into British Rail. If you can help I'd be most grateful.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!   WW2 Airfield- Happy with latest finds!!  

7) I really dont know what this interesting item is, so I've put a few pictures on showing different angles. It is an alloy disc painted olive drab with a lever painted yellow.
    8) Close up shows its markings MAC 28505 with 8 below, perhaps the MAC stands for Macdonald Douglas?
    9) The inset picture shows the other side you see there is what appears to be a washer made of plywood with a trace of the grey blue paint. The main picture shows the attachment bracket?
    10) Could it be part of the control column of an aircraft?, I found this pic of a C47 cockpit on the net and have marked what looks very similar.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

7) I really don't know what this is so have put a few pictures on showing various angles. It's an olive drab painted alloy disc and has a yellow painted lever.
    8) This close up shows its markings MAC 28505 with 8 below. Could the MAC stand for Macdonald Douglas?
    9) The main picture shows the attachment bracket, the inset picture shows the other side and the plyboard washer? still with traces of the original blue grey paint.
    9a) I was wondering if it was perhaps part of an aircraft control column, this picture shows similar in the cockpit of a C47.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

I don't think it was a good idea to take rusty 7.5 cm armor penetration grenade to the hands.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

I have put a few pictures of the Lead Acid Accumulator or Storage Battery on because it seems to tell an interesting story and I've also restored it.
    10) This pic shows as found notice that the bitumen/tar sealer appears to have run down the front, the back was also completely covered in it. The dump where it was found has areas of burning and I thought perhaps the heat of the nearby fires had made it melt and run.
    I haven't been able to find much about the MILNES Radio Co Ltd, other than it signed a contract with the Air Ministry in Aug 1939 to supply many aircraft components.
    11) This shows the front and back. Using hot water I cleaned the run tar off to reveal that it had been put there deliberately as a field repair, there was damage to the front and back. This makes me wonder especially with the puncture hole in the back if it could have been battle damage perhaps flak shrapnel?. During the Battle of Britain the Airforce was streched to the limit with limited resupply available. Perhaps that would have been a time for make do and mend?.
    12) The markings on the base, Pat No 235859 Rd 781455 4 3XTB91 01W 10 35. Notice also the trace of yellow paint.
    13) The central section was loose so I took it out to clean, you can see in the accumulator case where the bitchumen is also on the inside around the hole. The central part was made by OLDHAM this is a different company to MILNES so is probably a replacement when the original was damaged perhaps when the hole in the case was created. It is marked Ref No 5J/1119 AM (this is for Air Ministry). I couldn't find much on this other than ref 1119 was accumulators that were used on the early versions of Spitfires and Hurricaines. You'll also note it has painted on the top H 12?
    14) This pic shows the great condition of the lead plates and wood dividers.
    15) Now for my repairs, I found that no nails glue was ideal not only was it strong, it filled the gap easily and has the same look and feel as the original bitumen. After 24 hours I was able to paint it using Humbrol matt black and as it dried I sprinkled the fine dust you get under door mats onto the paint to blend it in with the original remaining bitumen.
    16) The finished restoration completed with a yellow stopper. A War Grade beer bottle stopper found near the accumulator just painted yellow and aged. It fits perfectly and could have been used at a time of make do and mend!. The inset picture has the
    W(arden) helmet just to show the scale its big and very heavy.
    17) The final selection of finds a small piece of air skin the paint has faded to pink, I guess it was originally red. An ali buckle or clip not sure what its from, an eyes only George V penny and .30 cal cartride marked KS 43.

Thats all for now, got to get on washing my next batch argh!!
    LUCKYSTRIKE

The lever thingy certainly looks like a throttle control lever or such like.

I love the pottery !

One other thing, being a pharmacist that glass tube actually reminds me of a very old style of anaesthesia device. The tube would be topped by a small silver or gold 'cap' with a little hole in it and then a lever holding a 'plug' in place over the hole. The tube itself would be filled with Ether. Have a check of it.....I wouldn't recommend smelling the contents but its the only way to be sure !

If it does smell of Ether, for heavens sake be careful. Ether has a very low flash point and is, in that sort of quantity, explosive. Certainly medics of the day would use this sort of thing to anaesthetise patients.

And Dimas....it doesn't look like a 7.5cm grenade....looks like a small O2 tank.

Steve T

Hi Dimas
    Thanks for your reply and concern, I've been collecting for a long time now and am very aware of what is and can be dangerous and will never take any risks. so i was a little unsure what you meant. But looking back over the pictures I suppose the Oxy Bottle looks a little like a shell, but I can guarantee it is as I say an Oxy Bottle, it is hollow and there's nothing inside.
    The final picture in the as found section is a knife handle and quite small, although its cleaned up now I've put so many pics on this post I thought I'd leave that one out.
    Thanks again mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Lucky,

No.9 looks like it could be part of a pump or winch. I've toyed with the idea of it coming of an aircraft but i'm not really confident on that score.

Regards, Ned.

Wow Steve thanks for that,
    All ties in with the 'This Tier US Army only' from my previous post. It's definately water in the tube, I guess over the 60 odd years of burial it leached its way in through the small hole at the top. I know its water because a little has leaked out and there's no smell or odd consistancy.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast