Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !

Article about: Steve The m103 nose fuze that you thought was a gaine is that the same thing that we found when we went for a walk over there if so I will have to go back over and get One !!

Default WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !

Hi all

We, I have made a quick trip to the WW2 bombing range recently, basically to recce it before a couple of RRPG members visit the site to recover some of the relics. Jayh had told me that the farmer had levelled the field so I wanted to see if stuff could still be found on the surface, (last time I visited it it was in a ploughed state and finds were all over the place), and so make sure the RRPG members didn't have a wasted trip.

Well, all I can say is this. I was there 20 minutes. I was back at the car 5 minutes later. I could barely lift my bag from my shoulder.

Here we go...........

And then after cleaning. Doesn't show all the nose fuses as many are still soaking in vinegar

Found a couple of these but this is the best one. No markings on it but it is roughly twice the size of a 2inch mortar safety cap and made of steel. Rectangular hole on the top, 4 small screw holes around the base. I think it may be off an American bomb fuse but just can't confirm which one.

The top off a fuse. Again, not sure which one but almost certainly American.

These are, to all intents and purposes, bloody great big metal buttons. My current thinking is that they formed part of the parachute system for 23lb fragmentation bombs, (or similar), and were where the parachute cords passed through to keep them from tangling. Anyone know precisely what they are ?

M104 23lb fragmentation bomb nose fuses. Lots of them Another batch still soaking in vinegar

Ok, now these are interesting. When I first found one I thought it was a whiskey bottle but, when I tried to pull it from the ground, found it was metal and a bit bigger than a bottle. Before I cleaned them I was convinced they were the back portion of some kind of practice or small fragmentation bomb. However, after cleaning I am not so sure. The metal rod appears to be held in place by a Bakelite type material, possibly to act as an insulator. However, the main body of the object appears to be blown apart. Both made from aircraft type alloy.

What on earth are they ? Can't find an exact match in my ordnance reference sources for any bomb, so could they be electrical items of some sort. Seems odd there were two in the middle of the bombing range and they not be ordnance related !

The 'insulation'......

The rod goes quite some way inside the objects....

And now for a nice and different find.

Took me a while to ID it and I did initially leave it behind as it looked like a bomb fuse gaine. However, I decided it wasn't so took it home. When I gave it a preliminary clean, the 'top' fell off, revealing a series of cogs inside.......

......as you can see here. This made IDing it much simpler !

Turns out to be an M103 American WW2 nose fuse

As shown here............

As you can see, all the cogs match my item very nicely indeed Well chuffed with that find

Laters

Steve T

Default Re: WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !

Wow amazing finds and so varied.Id like to help with the i.d'ing but iv no idea what those things are.Im not brave enough to suggest what i think it might be phew thank goodness for editing
    Last edited by cornishboy; 04-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Default Re: WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !

Oh......so unwise to stick your neck out like that........

DAVE !!

CHOP IT OFF !!!

if the fuze top with the wire through is approx 60mm ,,its the top section of the fuze used on american 60mm illumination mortar rounds
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !   WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !  

It is. Thanks for the ID spotter

Adds more weight to the tale of other stuff being dumped at this site and it not just being used as a bombing range.

Any idea on the two big bits ?

the two big bits look like the remnants of the Mk 223 tail fuze used with 500 -1000lb bombs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !   WW2 bombing range - Another quick visit, another bucketful of finds !  

WOW !! Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Spotter. I owe you one

And, I think you've inadvertently ID'd the 'cup' as well. Looks like part of the same fuse.......The internal rod shown in my picture fits in the slot in the top of the 'cup', and you can see it in your diagram

Well done Spotter,living up to your name once again.Thats a really nice collection there Steve,very nice indeed

Here ya go.......taken from the US explosive ordnance book. For some reason I hadn't downloaded the pages with this fuse on !!!!! Daft bugger............

In the description the wording is as follows;

'The fuze is essentially a mechanical impact fuse Mk 221 with an external protective bottle shaped casing of aluminium.'

Also, the fuse cap shown in the picture confirms the ID on the cap I have.

Great news !

Good job with the clean up mate! and a good haul too.

Don't forget LS found one of those big buttons too
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...area-106686-8/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast