Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 bombing range - Quick 45 minute visit

Article about: It's up to you mate , it won't cost me nothing to send them as I work for a courier !

Default WW2 bombing range - Quick 45 minute visit

Hi all

Well, I went out this morning to have a quick look at the bombing range that Jayh has been to a couple of times, as has DM. Jayh met me there to show me round and we trudged off in the fog.......

As we reached the location, Jayh was pointing out all the areas where he had found various WW2 relics and said that a lot of stuff was on the surface. I turned on the detector and immediately got a signal. In fact I got lots of signals. To be honest, the whole damn FIELD was giving off one big mixed iron/brass signal !!!

I dug the first couple on the wall of a ditch and out popped two M104 nose fuses from 23lb frag bombs, used by the RAF and USAAF to practice with

But that was it. The metal detector went off because it was constantly bleeping. Even turning the discrim round to max had little effect !

So me an Jayh wandered around the field using the good old Mk II eyeballs, (they would be Mk I but we both wear glasses so they're Mk IIs ). After 15 minutes I wished I hadn't bothered bringing my detector. After 30 mins I started to say things like 'There's another one of those bloody nose fuses'. After 45 mins we went back to the car. I couldn't carry any more and neither could Jayh !!!

Here is what I recovered. I've not cleaned the nose fuses yet but thought you'd like to see them pre-cleaning.......

Remember, apart from two of the nose fuses, everything was picked up off the surface !

Some of the inner workings of the nose fuses. Also note the bent brass band in the middle. It looks like an artillery shell drive band but has no rifling marks on it. Any ideas ?

This next item reminds me of the kind of markings you get on some NO 36 base nuts. Indeed, one of them says '42' and another 'IZ'. Is it off one of the nose fuses or something else ? It is bigger than a base nut.........about 2 inches across.

This item is also currently a bit of a mystery. It appears to be the central blast cap for an artillery shell. It has a small 'blast cap' and a screw thread so it obviously went into something. About an inch and a half to two inches in diameter. (ish)

And it has lots of nice markings on it, including the WD arrow. What is it?

And now the find of the day......sorry....find of the 45 minutes.......

If we were ever in any doubt about what kind of nose fuses were being used at the range this would have solved it.

I LOVE it !

Jayh got 3 as well but they looked like they needed a good de-rusting bath

This is the plate that sits on the top of the firing plunger situated right on top of the nose fuse.

I'll post pics of the cleaned fuses when I've done them.

Hope you like the finds

Steve T

Default Re: WW2 bombing range - Quick 45 minute visit

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hi all

Hope you like the finds

Steve T
    Yes, Steve I do!!

Gremlin

ha ha ha... told you they soon get heavy!

Pictures of the nose fuses after their first clean.

This method is very complicated and should ONLY be attempted by PROFESSIONALS, but I will share it with you. This method is good for solid rusty objects but I wouldn't advise using it on helmets or magazines etc...... (thin metal).

Ok, for this method you need ........

1 x Concrete slab
    1 x Large hammer

The methodology is as follows......

1. Place the object on the concrete.
    2. Hit it with the hammer REALLY hard until all the rust falls off.

So now you know. Told you it was complicated.

They are all now soaking in vinegar for two days. I'll post back then

Steve T

?

Ah a good job for me then, Ive seen that base plug somewhere before, something like a 18 pounder, i had a shell casing with a very similar base plug, i even had the tool for unscrewing them

?

That's what I said it was dave. But it does look to big

?

GOOGLE images for 18 pounder shells, it looks like it to me

I think you've got it Dave Just found two with almost identical markings. 'No. 1 II' Trouble is, what the hell was it doing on an airforce bombing range !!!!

?

Some sources say the site was used for disposal of surplus or defective ordnance at one time, so that may explain some of the finds.

AHA ! PB to the rescue !

Thanks Paul. That would make sense. Any idea what the grey 'base nut' is off ? It's to large for a mills but is the same style of thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast