Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Cartridge

Article about: Hi guys, today i found this cartridge while metal detecting in Hong Kong hills: Should i have any particular security procedure with it, or its fine to keep it like i found it? Thank you!

demencia
    ?

Default WW2 Cartridge

Hi guys,

today i found this cartridge while metal detecting in Hong Kong hills:

Should i have any particular security procedure with it, or its fine to keep it like i found it?

Thank you!

All depends on what the laws are in the country where you intend to keep it. You need to check as, in England, possession of a live round without the proper licence is illegal. The vast majority of people, if they found this in England, would need to hand it to the police.

demencia
    ?

Quote by Steve T View Post
    All depends on what the laws are in the country where you intend to keep it. You need to check as, in England, possession of a live round without the proper licence is illegal. The vast majority of people, if they found this in England, would need to hand it to the police.
    Thank you for the reply, i meant by "security" any procedure i should do to make sure this ammo wouldnt explode or have any reaction after being so much time in the ground.
    I really dont care about any legal issue...

You may not care about legal issues, but we do. If the cartridge is illegal to possess in your country, or if it is illegal to de-activate it, don't do either. Hand it in to the police.

We cannot and will not advise you on how to deactivate live ammunition.

?

Quite right. That could open up a big can of worms.

A little information to help you decide what to do:

Hong Kong

Gun ownership in Hong Kong and Macau is tightly controlled and possession is mainly in the hands of law enforcement, military, and private security firms (providing protection for jewelers and banks). Still, possessing, manufacturing and import/exporting airsoft guns with a muzzle energy not above two joules of kinetic energy is legal to citizens in China's SARs. Under the Section 13 of Cap 238 Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance of the Hong Kong law, unrestricted firearms and ammunition requires a license, and those found in possession without a license could be fined HKD$100,000 and imprisonment for up to 14 years.
    A license is issued to people who aren't mentally ill or a felon after a rigorous process. Explosives and fully automatics are the only firearms that appear prohibited. Other firearms may be stored at home in a locked box, but ammunition must be kept on a different premise.

I can see why you would like to keep it. It's something you found so it has a little story. But there were millions and millions of these produced and you can buy thousands of them deactivated so is it worth it? I understand China has approx. 35,000 soldiers surfing the net looking for 'Other things' but it only takes one to wander on to this site and....well you know.