Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010

Article about: HI all I have been back to the gunnery range I know about and had a really good day. The place is jammed with stuff and I end up only searching an area about 10metres square each time I go b

Default WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010

HI all

I have been back to the gunnery range I know about and had a really good day. The place is jammed with stuff and I end up only searching an area about 10metres square each time I go because there's so much stuff there !

This visit was a bit of a 303 cartridge day although i did find some other nice bits as well.

Everything with a date on is always between 1941 and 1944.

Sorry for picture quality......my son is still using my DSLR.

Firstly before cleaning.

There isn't a picture of everything after cleaning like I normally do, simply because there was too much stuff to do a decent picture ! So here are the finds in groups after cleaning.

firstly a couple of 303 cartrdiges. Well.....a lot actually. 240 to be precise Took bloody HOURS to clean ! Most are spent from Bren guns, although a few are Lee-Enfield. I tended to find them in 'batches', 30-40 in one hole kind of thing.

An example of the headstamps

And a strange one.....a 303 welded to a Lee-Enfield clip.

Lots of spent bullets too. Mainly 303 but some 9mm and one 45cal.

A strange can. I have kept this 'just in case' as it was found next to a 2 inch mortar cap so is probably the right era. Anyone recognise it as anything ?

A 2inch mortar cap and the remains of the fin off one, with what looks like the remains of a smoke charge or possibly phosphorus.

Lastly some bits of grenade.

Some nice base nuts. A close up of 3 of them below. Also interesting is that one of them appears to be brass rather than the 'normal' metal. I never realised brass was used for these caps.

And that's it

Hope you like the stuff.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010   WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010  

WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010   WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010  

WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010  

ian
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Gunnery range - February 2010

in the pics of the 5 303 cases
    thay have a rectangular strike on the base
    that can only have bin fired from a bren gun
    as far as i know at that time no other british 303 gun had a rectangular firing pin cheers ian
    the top two ?could be 1919a4 or number 4

Yeah.....that's what i thought Ian ( above the picture I do say that most are from Bren guns ). Interesting that one of them has even got a extraction mark on the base. Well......more like a gouge actually

Steve T

ian
    ?

the extraction mark may denote a parsial miss feed
    as normaly the extractor does not mark the case
    cheers ian

Crackin finds mate... sure is a little gold mine you've got yourself there!

well done Steve, nice to find some complete 303's most of the one i find a broken or so brittle when you touch them they fall apart. Are you digging in sand?
    That brass grenade plug is quite rare i think?

Woody - thanks mate

Whitehunter - Yes it is sand so the cartridges have faired much better being in ground that is 'drier' thank soil. As to the brass grenade nut, this is the first one I have ever seen. Anyone know just how 'rare' they are ?

Cheers

Steve T

Steve
    What a volume! there's some lovely finds, but I hope you didn't have to walk too far from your car because lugging that weight back must have been something. I know what you mean when you say cleaning them took bl##dy hours. I'm still slogging through all those tags I found! can only manage 40 a night.
    Your site looks very promising being a former range but always remain cautious because there's still likely to be a fair amount of unexploded ordnance.
    Keep up the good work.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Great stuff Steve thanks for sharing. They sure had some strong firing pins popping on that range. Nice clean, deep strikes. Where they shooting into a berm?

Jay

Luckystrike - Yeah it's a little gold mine....but you're right. A very good chance of lots of live ordnance there so I dig slow and careful

Jay - Nah, the firing positions are all up and down the dunes with no specific point as a 'regular' firing position. The way I narrow the search down is to find dunes that had a good view of the beach, or ones taller than the rest in the local area, or ones with a view down one of the 'paths'. However, most of the grenade nuts/bits I usually find in a deep dip in the dunes.

The range is a good square mile so I reckon, with the little patches I search when I go there, it'll take me about 700 visits to cover the whole place

Cheers guys

Steve T

Glossary of terms

Berm - A berm is a level space, shelf, or raised barrier separating two areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast