Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !

Article about: Hey guys This thread is a two parter This bit is all photos of the digging in action, attached below. You can see that I was finding piles of 303's in confined spots, probably where a soldie

Default Re: WW2 gunnery range - First visit this year - Need a wheelbarrow !

superb finds there steve t, great pics of the before dug relics, it puts you right there with em, keep up the good work!!

Hi Steve,
    I know its an old post but I noticed Steve has dug up cases from Canada, New Zealand and South Africa on this site. Has anyone dug up commonwealth cases in the European theatre? Are there any records stating the number of SAA rounds imported into the UK during WW2?
    Cheers
    Hangarman

Cartridges from all over the world at this range Gary You never know what's going to pop up

?

I HOPE SOMETHING POPPED UP FOR ME or i'll never lend my vast knowledge of relics out again , i mean it , im really serious about this , i'm not kidding , honest ,cross my heart , spit twice and turn round three times

Daft old bugger.....Look at the date this thread was started !!!!!! 4 years behind as per usual......

Hi Steve

"I also found a most curious item, (see below bit for better photo), which is a Lee-Enfield clip with five spent rounds in it. Why ?"

When I was doing marksmanship with the cadets we had to collect and count the spent casings to confirm that we had in fact fired all of our rounds. Perhaps a similar idea?

Thanks

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron Stockton; 05-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Indeed Cameron......a very sound idea. I had a better explanation from a veteran though. When I mentioned this to him he said to me that I should think of it like this. You go out on an exercise and take a heavy load of cartridges with you, then run around for 7 or 8 hours with all the weight. At the end of the exercise you're knackered and can't be arsed to carry a load of cartridges/mortars/grenades back with you so, at the very end of the exercise, everyone would use up what they had left to make the march home a little easier. He also commented that you would be bored stiff most of the time and slotting spent cartridges back into clips wasted a bit of time.

?

Pfft , thats all i can say Pfft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2