Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WW2 gunnery range - First visit for a year.....and what a result !

Article about: Hi all Well, today I returned to the gunnery range I 'found' last year. I was damn lucky as the farmer informed me he had just harvested and ploughed the fields so I had free reign over the

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Hi all

Well, today I returned to the gunnery range I 'found' last year. I was damn lucky as the farmer informed me he had just harvested and ploughed the fields so I had free reign over the whole area.

Initially I concentrated on the aiming point for the 2 inch mortars, which I had pinpointed last year. I didn't do any detecting, just walked the field. After an hour I had to go back to the car as I couldn't carry any more stuff !!! Once back, I decided to head back to the area, (also pinpointed last year), where they were firing the 2 inch mortars from. I was getting a little disheartened as, after an hour of detecting, I had just a handful of smashed up 303s. Then I found a 2inch safety cap........and another.......and another. I slowed my walk and 'grid patterned' the little area to make sure I covered every spot. Quite a nice result in the end and confirmation of it being the firing point.

Having cleared out that area, I went to search a field I had never detected before. First thing I found was a 2 inch para illum case in damn good nick, with even some paintwork still in place. A short distance away I got a No 36m base plug.......and another......and another........and soon realised I may have stumbled on the grenade practice area as well

Not a bad 4 hours digging at all, and a relief to get back out there digging to be honest

Take a look at the video of the dig.......

Gunnery range - 2 inch mortar harvest - YouTube

Here are the finds before any cleaning. I'll post more pictures once cleaned. I did give the base plugs a quick scrub to reveal the dates, (all 1943), along with 2 of the safety caps and the para illum round.

Attachment 553836

The para illum 2 inch mortar after a quick clean. No other marks visible unfortunately.

Attachment 553837

Hi Steve, if you compare your unidentified part to the bottom of the illuminating round you will see what it is!
    Cheers
    Gary

Aha!!

Awesome. Thanks Hangerman

Seen the video on Youtube.. Great vid, and nice haul of finds, were you in the leic Mercury paper a few months back??

?

Steve, the 2 caps that have 'REMOVE BEFORE FIRING' on them, one has it stamped into the cap and the other it rasied.

Is that just 2 differnet manufacturers tooling preferences or does one indicate one type of round adn the other (ei the rasied one) signify another type of round. Just thinking for ease of recognistion in the dark etc with the rasied lettering as I'm sure I've handle kit like that in the past and wondered if the same rule could be applied to back then?

Daz - Thanks and yes, it was me

FJR66 - Just two different manufacturers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12