Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming

Article about: by Steve T A big buckle off something and a piece of metal that reminds me of a metal MG belt feeder. The stainless steel item is indeed part of a USAAF .50 cal flexible feed chute. by Steve

?

Default re: WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming

Quote by Steve T View Post
    A big buckle off something and a piece of metal that reminds me of a metal MG belt feeder.
    The stainless steel item is indeed part of a USAAF .50 cal flexible feed chute.

A valve off something. It has a number on it but it is not decipherable. Shame as it may have made it positively identifiable.
    [squints at it for a bit...]

VR136
    10E/386

Signal amplifier pentode, aka EF54, aka CV1136, aka 5A-156M.
    See www.tubecollector.org/ef54 for technical details.
    A development of the EF50 valve, these seem to have been used a lot in airborne radar sets.

I have found a couple of these before on a different airbase, next to Merlin Engine exhaust stub gaskets. Are they a kind of 'lock washer' from a Merlin Engine exhaust assembly?
    Yes, that's exactly what they are.

All the best,
    PB

PB.......I could kiss you !

You are, as always, a little gold mine of information on aircraft parts.

Many MANY thanks. I owe you a beer or five

Steve T

Hi Steve,

What a great first post on our new site.
    I can vouch for Steves narrative it happened just like that (Ps Steve I like your style). It was a great day out seeing the old base but finding the tip after so much wandering made the day. I've dug on quite a few sites over the years but I must say this one looks very promising. The site appears to be the airbase domestic tip so may not contain too much in the way of larger aero sections but time will tell and we'll keep you posted. But the small amount of searching shows the quality that can be found.

Research does pay dividends, when Im not digging or doing the footwork looking for sites (usually weekends) then in the evenings I'm at home researching potential sites. There are literally hundreds scattered all over the uk and beyond its just a matter of finding them. If you work on the assumption that every airbase, Army encampment and military site had at least one near by then you will find it eventually. Find the location of your local bases, use aerial pictures, maps and people recollections and you'll come up trumps thats how I find the sites. Its a great feeling when is pays off, now I'm just looking forward to seeing what it'll reveal.

I'll be posting my pictures of the finds soon.

WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming

But I just thought you'd like to see this, Steve noticed this pile of bomb pistols, just lying on the surface.

All the best.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Great finds people!!
    I cant wate to see what pops out the ground next.

Hello

Here are my finds

please feel free to id them as i only know what a few of them are.

1: Markings on item
    2: close up of 1
    3:?
    4: Tall Pistols
    5:Slide up and pull?
    6: 2 toothbrushes Widom and Kilmax
    7:fuse box dated 42
    8: small box with a L1 and L2 stamped on it
    9:difffrent makers marks
    10: fuse from a plane i guess
    11: Sling?
    12: Strange round things (marked)
    13: close up on markings
    14 Pint glass with G R on

Hope you find these intresting

cheers

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming   WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming  

WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming   WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming  

WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming   WW2 RAF Lancaster base - Dump discovered - Finds keep coming  

?

Fascinating stuff! the round panel in pic one looks to be of an Albermarle (if the part number starts SP) the elipse shaped ally piece looks like a spacer from between the rubber buffers of a Mosquito undercarriage leg. Bad picture here: DeHavilland Mosquito Mk.IV DZ486

Look forward to seeing more...

WH

Well the complete pint glass shows there is some breakables that survived being thrown in the dump. Hopefully we can find more. Interesting what ian says about the Mosquito part

Steve T

This looks like a great place to dig. Well done Guys!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi John,
    They've cleaned up well, but you didn't show the dial you found I thought that was a good find, so was the RAF marked soup bowl and also that strange brass item with the chromed pin sticking out.
    Cheers mate.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Oh yeah......I forgot about that dial !

And show the brass item to

Steve T

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast