Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.

Article about: By now im sure we've all watched those amazing WW2 relic hunting videos on YouTube, and drooled over the awesome artifacts recovered from the ground. I cant tell you how many times ive dream

Default WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.

By now im sure we've all watched those amazing WW2 relic hunting videos on YouTube, and drooled over the awesome artifacts recovered from the ground. I cant tell you how many times ive dreamed of traveling to Europe to hunt for the relics left behind from the war. And as a 19Yr old college student, I really don't have the cash to fund a quick relic hunt in Europe LoL. So about two months ago I started to research possible areas to hunt here in Texas. After a few weeks of research I found the perfect location. A ex U.S. military base used for both WW1, and WW2. And heres the good news, in 1946 the base was no longer in use. So all the artifacts that I find should only be from 1946 back. After making sure the site wasn't protected, and metal detecting wasn't prohibited. I grabbed my gear, and rushed to the site. All the military buildings were demolished back in 46, and the whole base is just one big open field. Perfect for relic hunting. During my first trip I found quite a bit. Although I have no idea what any of these relics are, and it mostly looks like junk LoL. Possibly someone here has an idea?? For the sake of privacy, I will not be giving the name or lactation of this base. I will also update this thread whenever I find more artifacts at this location. I hope you guys enjoy!! And if you can ID any of the items I find it will be greatly appreciated!!

Best regards- Jarret

WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.WW2 relic hunting in the U.S.

That's really good to know! I'm also from Texas, am 20, and am currently in college as well. I've also dreamed of going to Europe where people seem to stumble upon treasures without even having to dig a hole. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can tell ya what some of these are as I certainly have no clue

Quote by chbingle View Post
    That's really good to know! I'm also from Texas, am 20, and am currently in college as well. I've also dreamed of going to Europe where people seem to stumble upon treasures without even having to dig a hole. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can tell ya what some of these are as I certainly have no clue
    Wow! Awesome to see another native Texan have the same passions for WW2 relics like me!! It’s also kind of odd how we’re both around the same age, and in college LoL Yeah I hear ya, it’s almost like those European relic hunters don’t even dig for that stuff. Like they just stumble across it LoL. Thanks for the support! Hopefully like you said, someone might know what exactly I found.

Best regards- Jarret

MAP
    ?

Very nice! Congrats.

Way before medal detectors or even before people started "Relic Hunting", I used to do this as a kid with a pocket knife and a trowel.

My Parents house was built on top of the old WW1 US army base called Camp Mills home of the famed "Rainbow Division". I also lived a very short walk from both Roosevelt Field (where Lindberg took off to fly to Paris) and Mitchell Field. Mitchell Field was a major WW2 USAAF base. It was decommissioned sometime right after WW2 and a lot of the base was pretty much undeveloped up until the late 70's. (This is a shocker considering where it was situated). Anyway, except for a few hangers that are Historical Landmarks, there is nothing left these days.

So...back to the early/mid 70's..... My friends and I would go to the old Mitchell Field airbase and start digging. There were truckloads of old metal Marston matting (temporary runways) just sitting there for the taking. But they were too big for a 7 to 10 year old to drag home...LoL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat

But I was able to dig up spent 30-06, .45 ACP, M1 Carbine 30 as well as 50 caliber bullets and as well as casings. I still have a jar or two of them lying around somewhere. I always dreamed of digging up a grenade but luckily I never did...LoL

You might just get lucky and stumble across the firing range like I did

Also, legend has it that my parents backyard was the "dump" for the old WW1 Camp Mills (the ground sunk a few feet and the parents has to bring in fill to level it out). I wish I had a metal detector as a kid because I would have dug like crazy. I guess I still can. My Mom still has the house. Maybe I'll ask the wife for a metal detector for Christmas....

Anyway, it brings back lots of memories....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Whoa..... MAP that’s so awesome!! To think of all the history so close to you. Literally in your back yard!! Thank you so much for sharing this experience, I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely try to get yourself a metal detector, you will not regret it. And please update us if you ever do any digging in your mother’s backyard.

Best regards- Jarret

MAP
    ?

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Whoa..... MAP that’s so awesome!! To think of all the history so close to you. Literally in your back yard!! Thank you so much for sharing this experience, I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely try to get yourself a metal detector, you will not regret it. And please update us if you ever do any digging in your mother’s backyard. Best regards- Jarret
    All the neighbors would probably think I'm burying a body or something like that!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Jarret...you are good people & so is CH. You guys should get together (if not too far apart) I know Texas is a huge state...but I know & like CH same way I like you. Most likely you have a bit in common with each other.

Just a thought,
    David

Quote by real steel View Post
    Jarret...you are good people & so is CH. You guys should get together (if not too far apart) I know Texas is a huge state...but I know & like CH same way I like you. Most likely you have a bit in common with each other.

Just a thought,
    David
    Thank you real steel, your a very good person yourself. Well I wouldn't be apposed to that, perhaps I should PM CH sometime soon. It would be great to meet up with someone that shares a similar love for history.

Best regards- Jarret

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Thank you real steel, your a very good person yourself. Well I wouldn't be apposed to that, perhaps I should PM CH sometime soon. It would be great to meet up with someone that shares a similar love for history.

Best regards- Jarret
    Would not hurt. The more people you know that have similar collecting interest, the better. I have met & made quite a few long time friends thru forums. One of the benefits of being involved. Always nice to have a few connections.

?

Very cool thread good luck finding stuff. When I was in collage in NJ I wasn't to far from Picatinny Arsenal. When I went to my buddies apartment I noticed the landscape on the neighbors yard. They had used shell heads to make an outline to separate the garden from the lawn . The neighbors sold the house and some of their lawn art disappeared before the new owners moved in . Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast