Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally

Article about: Wow, that is one little piece of history you've got going there. Great find Regards, Finn

Default Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally

Hello,

Sorry i didn't post my find yesturday i was too busy playing xbox :P

Yesturday i hit the swamp part of the airfeild where i found the 20mm casings
    had another roast dinner so time i have finished i only had about 1 hour before it got dark

50.cal DM 43 and 30cal dated 1933 only ever found 10 30 cals
    Side mirror ?
    Most intresting find was the tube 528 Handymans Adhesive. Any one seen these before??
    Still plenty of stuff in the swamp its all really deep down.

Today set off to the rally.
    200 people turned up. At 10am it was time to start, there was a made rush people running left right and center. I head towards the furthest field and started a grid pattern finding little bits of silver foil then a little thimble popped out. I took a clod shot of it and within 20 seconds of me doing that i had 3 people searching all around me I think they thought i had found a gold coin from then on i found little bits here and there Vicky halfpenny, 2 buckles, musket ball . most of the time i was talking to people. My old man manged to find 2 roman coins and my uncle was very luck to find an enameled Medieval horse pandant (last picture)

Would have took more pictures of the rally but it was very foggy

No searching tomorrow meeting up with LS

Back out on thursday

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally   Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally  

Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally   Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally  

Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally   Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally  

Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally  

Default Re: Yesturdays swamp digging + Todays rally

Nice finds john, the thimble looks early and I like the early England Footie badge.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Nice finds john, the thimble looks early and I like the early England Footie badge.

Well done with those! I can only dream of finding a roman coin (BIG sigh!). I'm no expert on medieval items ( I know bu**er all!), but agree on the pendant being horse related. I don't think something of that design would be too common either.
    Nicely done!

Martyn.

Cheers guys!

Martyn yorkshire must be full of roman coins? do you have a detector? The horse pedant is 13th-14th century and a very rare find indeed

Had a detector a number of years ago but I do have access to a couple (if I were to sweet talk my brother-in-law). There's a couple of sights I've identified in the area I wouldn't mind looking over, provided permission was granted that is.

Where I used to live turned out to be about 150 yards from a Roman farmstead on what was a corn field until housing development took over. For years before, I'd been able to see crop marks around it and knew of the importance of Castleford about 2 miles away. Digging an area of my garden unearthed a rusty lump which turned out to be the point of a Roman javelin (confirmed by the local museum who didn't seem to give two hoots). Now the oldest part of my military collection.

I've also found a few pottery shards whilst in Italy (surface finds), one of which still had paint markings and has ironicaly been identified as being made in Britain.

I should take more notice of your signature and get myself motivated! "If you don't go out and look your never find it!"

Again, well done to you all with those finds!

All the best and have a good year ahead!

Martyn.

Nice finds! I'm indeed jealous of your medieval coin, what is the date on it?
    Regards,
    Finn

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    Nice finds! I'm indeed jealous of your medieval coin, what is the date on it?
    Regards,
    Finn
    My uncle was chuffed, It's a French jetton dated between 1470-1520

Quote by martynv4 View Post
    Had a detector a number of years ago but I do have access to a couple (if I were to sweet talk my brother-in-law). There's a couple of sights I've identified in the area I wouldn't mind looking over, provided permission was granted that is.

Where I used to live turned out to be about 150 yards from a Roman farmstead on what was a corn field until housing development took over. For years before, I'd been able to see crop marks around it and knew of the importance of Castleford about 2 miles away. Digging an area of my garden unearthed a rusty lump which turned out to be the point of a Roman javelin (confirmed by the local museum who didn't seem to give two hoots). Now the oldest part of my military collection.

I've also found a few pottery shards whilst in Italy (surface finds), one of which still had paint markings and has ironicaly been identified as being made in Britain.

I should take more notice of your signature and get myself motivated! "If you don't go out and look your never find it!"

Again, well done to you all with those finds!

All the best and have a good year ahead!

Martyn.
    Go for it mate! i love to see anything you find. That roman Javelin sounds really intresting. I hope you get permission to the fields you talk of i bet you will find some really intresting stuff.

John

Quote by martynv4 View Post

Well done with those! I can only dream of finding a roman coin (BIG sigh!). I'm no expert on medieval items ( I know bu**er all!), but agree on the pendant being horse related. I don't think something of that design would be too common either.
    Nicely done!

Martyn.
    Martyn I know this sounds crazy, but one day on ebay here in the U.S. I was looking at German coins from the ww2 period& for some odd reason I found a seller that had roman coins & they were cheaper than the German coins? I think I may go back & try to find him again, but I was looking for a 1945 coin, or coins, since that would complete all my coins I have from before ww1 & through ww2.
    regards Marty

I've seen roman coins as cheap as 5p before. a friend of mine as found over 1000 roman coins this year. i manged to find 15 roman coins this year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast