Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1800s socket bayonets.

Article about: Hello. I found these two socket bayonets. Not my field but were very cheap. One has V.V and F over 406. Only thing i can think of is that v.v means Victoria volunteers. Here in Australia we

Default 1800s socket bayonets.

Hello. I found these two socket bayonets. Not my field but were very cheap. One has V.V and F over 406. Only thing i can think of is that v.v means Victoria volunteers. Here in Australia we had no army in 1800s so each state formed there own group's. The other bayonet all know is that it has the sold out of sevice stamp. Tube size are 20mm and 17mm inside measurements. Somone said martini rifle as they had them here in two diffrent calibers. Any info or thoughts would be great thankyou mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1800s socket bayonets.   1800s socket bayonets.  

1800s socket bayonets.   1800s socket bayonets.  

1800s socket bayonets.   1800s socket bayonets.  

?

"Somone said martini rifle as they had them here in two diffrent calibers. Any info or thoughts would be great thankyou mark"
    They had 3 calibers
    I used to have a lot of these gun parts years ago , had many breechblocks marked & stamped as .303 conversion.
    Unfortunately I couldn't sell them to anyone anymore , as post Port Arthur , and all 303 stuff illegal.
    So I ended up having to giving them away to museums.
    I like the look and think you are on the right track mate
    Cheers Rick

Thanks Rick for the reply. The diameters of the inside of the bayonets were17.60mm and 20.11mm. I was useing a ALDI caliper. So there about with measurements.
    I like to think they might have been at Eureka stockade haha

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    Thanks Rick for the reply. The diameters of the inside of the bayonets were17.60mm and 20.11mm. I was useing a ALDI caliper. So there about with measurements.
    I like to think they might have been at Eureka stockade haha
    Give me the length of the Bayo , if 22" would match my thoughts of them being P1876 Socket Bayonets.
    Cheers Rick

Hi Rick. The blades are 440mm the overall are 520mm.
    My tape does not have inches.
    But I think is 17.3 and 20.4 inch. Don't hold me on that conversation.
    The bayonet that has the 406 V.V was told.
    F district number 406 Victorian volunteers. Should go to pattern 1853 Enfield or hay pattern rifle.
    The one with the smaller diameter socket was reduced to fit a martini Henry rifle.
    How do you think this fits in. Thank you Mark.

Just doing a bit of reading there was a Fitzroy rifles that was part of the Victoria volunteers.Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    Hi Rick. The blades are 440mm the overall are 520mm.
    My tape does not have inches.
    But I think is 17.3 and 20.4 inch. Don't hold me on that conversation.
    The bayonet that has the 406 V.V was told.
    F district number 406 Victorian volunteers. Should go to pattern 1853 Enfield or hay pattern rifle.
    The one with the smaller diameter socket was reduced to fit a martini Henry rifle.
    How do you think this fits in. Thank you Mark.
    Hi Mark,

I will have to do some digging in my Aussie Colonial "box" all stored away , Sorry I can't give you an instant "facebook" answer , lol.
    But i will have a look when time permits and see what I can come up with that may help.
    I just can't do it now , and so busy with other normal life stuff
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1378461

Thanks Rick. i have had Victorian museum. wanting to have a look at these as well. be interesting to see what they came up with.

?

No worries mate ,
    Will see how I go searching through my own stuff 1st , I don't use the internet until I can get a lead or match on something worth following 1st