Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1874 Gras bayonet

Article about: Still a fairly easy bayonet to find, reasonably priced and one I feel every bayonet collector should have at least one of. They are pretty unique in style and form with their humpback grip t

?

Default 1874 Gras bayonet

Still a fairly easy bayonet to find, reasonably priced and one I feel every bayonet collector should have at least one of. They are pretty unique in style and form with their humpback grip to its T back blade. Mine is made by the St Etienne arsenal in February 1878.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1874 Gras bayonet   1874 Gras bayonet  

1874 Gras bayonet   1874 Gras bayonet  

1874 Gras bayonet  

Greetings Jim,

I sold mine off last year, they just did not fit into any niche of collecting I still posses interest in. That said, these fireplace sets come up from time to time and I often think about getting one... of course I don't have a fireplace either so... I have been putting this acquisition off.

Regards,

Lance

1874 Gras bayonet
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 03-16-2014 at 12:35 AM.

?

I love the re-purposed bayonets, it's an area I've always had an interest in, but need to get one of everything else 1st!

Jim

My father, a WWII veteran, handed me a box with three blades in it. One was a civil war sword he inherited from a family member, second one was a French Gras bayonet bring back from my grandfather who fought in WWI, and last was a German K98 bayonet my dad brought back. None of them are rare but each significant to our family. Despite it's ubiquity, I rather like the Gras bayonet. It's has a strong assembly, nice design, and a very formidable blade.