MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Australian 1907/42 bayonet mint unissued

Article about: Here is my mint unissued Australian 1907/42 bayonet made by Orange arsenal. It was the only bayonet at an auction I was at, it was in such good condition that when I saw it sitting on the ta

?

Default Australian 1907/42 bayonet mint unissued

Here is my mint unissued Australian 1907/42 bayonet made by Orange arsenal. It was the only bayonet at an auction I was at, it was in such good condition that when I saw it sitting on the table, I figured it for a reproduction until I picked it up. Manufactured at Orange arsenal, including scabbard hardware, with Slazenger made grips and Mangrovite scabbard body. How it survived so well so long is amazing.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued   Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued  

Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued   Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued  

Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued   Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued  

?

I like the look of the bayonet I have an orange arsenal 44 in similar condition. Do you mind letting me know what you paid? They go for about 200-250 in Australia. Is the AUSTRALIA marking stamped over a slaz marking? Here is some info on the AUSTRALIA marking. Lawrance Ordnance - Furniture on the Lithgow Pattern 1907 Bayonet

?

Very Nice one.
    I also have a cherry Australian 1907/42 bayonet. Mine is marked SLAZ 44 on both grips and the scabbard is a MANGROVITE'42. The only difference is that my scabbard has the tear drop shaped frog catch on it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The reason mid/late war equipment and weapons are often found in near new condition is that much of it ended up in war stocks awaiting the outbreak of the next large scale unpleasantness-the Australian armed forces have always been a relatively small body except during the 2 World Wars-the typical late war overproduction that was common with the Allied war effort in general meant a great deal of stuff was stored away and in the case of the SMLE Mk III* rifles and assoc equipment, the Australian war stocks were finally sold off in the mid 1980s, much of it ending up in the US as that's the primary market for the collecting/shooting of firearms.

PS My 1943 example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 1907/42  bayonet mint unissued  

Most of the Brens were too nice to be chopped up and sent to the US so they ended up in the UK. Thank god!

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    I like the look of the bayonet I have an orange arsenal 44 in similar condition. Do you mind letting me know what you paid? They go for about 200-250 in Australia. Is the AUSTRALIA marking stamped over a slaz marking? Here is some info on the AUSTRALIA marking. Lawrance Ordnance - Furniture on the Lithgow Pattern 1907 Bayonet

I got it for $65, but only because it was a general auction and no militaria was advertised. A friend was there for something else and called me about it. It was well worth the 30 minute drive. Had it been advertised in a militaria auction it would have been at least double that, on ebay the price would be about what you say you can get them for. Australia is stamped clean on one side, Slaz on the other, no over-stamps.

The Lawrence ordnance site you posted is very informative.

Jim

?

Glad you found the site informative. I've only seen them with matching stamped furniture so it may mean a replacement. Either way you got it for a super price-well played sir.