Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian issue M7 bayonet

Article about: Hello all, Here are some pics of my recently acquired US made Australian issue M7 bayonet for the M16 and F88 Austeyr rifles. I've wanted one of these for a while and they don't seem to pop

?

Default Australian issue M7 bayonet

Hello all,

Here are some pics of my recently acquired US made Australian issue M7 bayonet for the M16 and F88 Austeyr rifles. I've wanted one of these for a while and they don't seem to pop up too often. I got it for a reasonable price on ebay of all places. The seller also had a Australian buck M9 bayonet which I have also been looking for (if any one has one for sale let me know), but for some reason wouldn't post it to Australia

You will notice the broad arrow on both the cross guard and front of the M10 variant scabbard. The blade has been sharpened even on the false edge which looks very similar to the one displayed on: Foreign Variants of the M7 Bayonet
    I'm not sure if its been done whilst in service.

There isn't much info about these online, if anyone has any knowledge on them I'd love any info you've got. I'd also love to see pics if anyone has any in their collection.

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian issue M7 bayonet   Australian issue M7 bayonet  

Australian issue M7 bayonet   Australian issue M7 bayonet  

Australian issue M7 bayonet  

AIF
    ?

Hi Alex, Excellent score mate!! I remember seeing about 5 or 6 of these at a disposals store about 15 years ago for $60 each or something ridiculously cheap like that... Always kicked myself for not buying a couple back then as they aren't that easy to get a hold of.

As far as I know these have been on issue for quite a while and are still used/issued along side the M9 bayonets.

Cheers Luke.

?

Thanks Luke. I've never seen one for sale in Australia but heard they go for near to 400 dollars (I didn't pay anywhere near that )

I've heard that the M7 is issued to recruits in training and the M9 is issued on deployments but I don't know how true that is.

Alex

Nice bayonet Alex. Is the scabbard issued with that
    camo scheme - or is it a personal touch, and do
    you know where these M7's are made.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks Steve. The info online for these is a bit sketchy. As per worldbayonets.com the bayonets were made in 1991 by the General Cutlery Co. of Fremont, Ohio and the scabbards by Hauser Products Inc. of Chicago, Illinois. Every scabbard that I have seen has the same camo paint but I'm not sure if it was done in the factory in US or once they got to Australia. I did have a laugh thinking that it was someone's job to hand paint camo splotches on 20000 odd scabbards.

Alex

AIF
    ?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Thanks Luke. I've never seen one for sale in Australia but heard they go for near to 400 dollars (I didn't pay anywhere near that )

I've heard that the M7 is issued to recruits in training and the M9 is issued on deployments but I don't know how true that is.

Alex
    Hi mate, I have seen a few for sale over the years but they aren't that easy to find... I would never pay anywhere near $400 for one but I wouldn't doubt one would go that high if two airsoft wanna be SASR heroes were bidding against each other. From what I have heard from mates in the army these are actually a pretty rubbish bayonet... A good friend of mine who was until recently an instructor told me that at the end of bayonet drills it wasn't uncommon to see 5 or 6 blades that had snapped off into the sandbags... At that rate these things should be really rare eventually

Cheers Luke.

?

I've heard the same thing about them snapping off and I've heard the M9 doesn't fair much better. 400 is a crazy price but it seems that's the way things are going these days. The last Aussie M9 I saw on eBay Australia went for 510 but as you say the air softers go crazy for current issued kit-it would be good if they stuck to reproduction items

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Hello all,

Here are some pics of my recently acquired US made Australian issue M7 bayonet for the M16 and F88 Austeyr rifles. I've wanted one of these for a while and they don't seem to pop up too often. I got it for a reasonable price on ebay of all places. The seller also had a Australian buck M9 bayonet which I have also been looking for (if any one has one for sale let me know), but for some reason wouldn't post it to Australia
    I'm an Aussie expat from Brissy and ex-RAE chocco living in the US. I might be able to help you out. If the ebay seller still has an Aussie issue M9 available and you still want one (hopefully more than one - I want one for my AUG - yay USA ) I could work out a way to get it to you.

?

Hi Matell, welcome to the forum. The m9 in question was sold in March, it was a shame I didn't get my hands on it as it was a nice one. I managed to find two others in the space of three days a couple of months ago. They are hard to find and come up on eBay usually two or three close together then nothing for 6 months. They are quite expensive in Australia but if you manage to find one in the US it will be a lot cheaper. I would say your best bet would be eBay unless you have any ex service friends that may have procured one and don't mind selling it.

Where in the states are you living? I'm pretty jealous that you have an AUG and I have to settle with bolt actions.
    Last edited by Alex W; 08-13-2014 at 04:18 PM.

?

I'm living in Seattle and go by the same alias on a few other forums. There's another Aussie M9 on eBay right now which hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on. I have two AUG's actually, and likely a 3rd soon. A1, A3 CQC, on the lookout for an ADI A2 receiver to build an A2, have a couple of Aussie SLR's, a good ol Lithgow Smelly (so nothing wrong with bolt actions), a Leader Dynamics T2Mk5, AAA SAP and a few other little toys. Mostly trying to collect as much Australian firearms heritage as I can along with associated kit whilst I live in a country that permits such activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast