Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian issue M9 bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone, So after about six months of searching I finally found an Australian issue M9 bayonet for the collection. I probably paid a little too much for this one but I'm happy with th

?

Default Australian issue M9 bayonet

Hello everyone,

So after about six months of searching I finally found an Australian issue M9 bayonet for the collection. I probably paid a little too much for this one but I'm happy with the purchase. These are for the F88 Austeyr and M16 family of rifles and were made by Buck Knives in the US for an Australian contract. It has the broad arrow acceptance mark on both the blade and scabbard. Details are a little sketchy but apparently these were made in 1991 and only 20050 manufactured. Apart from the broad arrow marking they are identical to the commercial Buck M9 Bayonet. The Australian Defence Force now also use standard commercial Lancay and Ontario M9s which do not have any broad arrow markings which makes it almost impossible to tell if they are ADF issued items.

Two days after purchasing this one, I managed to find another broad arrow M9 from a retired Timor/Iraq/Afghanistan veteran. It is in used condition and I am probably going to sell it. PM me if anyone is interested. Interestingly the veteran also had a commercial Buck M9 which he stated was ADF issued to him. I'm unsure if the ADF purchased a large number of the commercial Buck M9s for issue or if a previous soldier purchased it privately to replace a lost / damaged bayonet without getting a bollocking.

Thanks for looking, any comments welcome.

Alex

Australian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonetAustralian issue M9 bayonet

Hi Alex. I'd be interested in seeing your second M9.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Great looking bayonet Alex!

?

Steve,

I'm at work at the moment. I'll post some pics tomorrow for you.

Alex

?

Nice,hard to find M9! my favorite part of it is the decal under the pouch warning you not to cut your fingers off. Who would have ever thought that a razor sharp knife could cut your fingers off

Jim

?

Thanks Jim. I also found that sticker amusing. Next they'll be putting warning stickers on rifle muzzles

?

Steve here is the vet acquired one. I have sent you a PM.

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian issue M9 bayonet   Australian issue M9 bayonet  

Australian issue M9 bayonet   Australian issue M9 bayonet  

Australian issue M9 bayonet  

I never knew the ADF issued the M9. Thanks for sharing!

?

Those knives broke so easily...I remember doing a bayonet assault course and finding 10-15 blades stuck in targets as I went thru.....after three times they the course, no one had a blade left....we ended up putting a mass report of defective or unserviceable equipment in and that's the last we heard of it

?

Thanks for the reply AMTG. I had heard that they were pretty fragile and they had the same problems with the M7 bayonets which were acquired at around the same time. If so many of these were breaking during training it's no wonder I had a hard time finding them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast