Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Austrian bayonet

Article about: Hello guys .This is a m 1886 or 1888 made by the austrians.The blade is a touch over nine and a half inches .The muzzle ring is 17mm in diameter .OEoverWG on ricasso and numbers 7968 on cros

?

Default Austrian bayonet

Hello guys .This is a m 1886 or 1888 made by the austrians.The blade is a touch over nine and a half inches .The muzzle ring is 17mm in diameter .OEoverWG on ricasso and numbers 7968 on cross guard.It also has what appears to be BU on the handle tang does anyone have any idea what it stands for.If it was,nt used by the austrians can you tell who used it by the number and stamp on the tang.Thanks Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Austrian  bayonet   Austrian  bayonet  

Austrian  bayonet   Austrian  bayonet  

Austrian  bayonet   Austrian  bayonet  

?

Default re: Austrian bayonet

I believe i answered it on other forum, the bayonet should be M1888 as 86 have a 17,5mm ring, problem is certainly be screw, as it could be little open the ring, but M1886 are very rare, the piece is probably a export as no austrian acceptance proof is on blade, the BU or BB stamp is for forging maker probably i have LB or LO on same place, the serial number is for rifle, as no letter there is i assume it must be a small contract. best regards,Andy
    Ps there is any stamps on forg stud of scabbard?

?

Default re: Austrian bayonet

Quote by AndyB View Post
    I believe i answered it on other forum, the bayonet should be M1888 as 86 have a 17,5mm ring, problem is certainly be screw, as it could be little open the ring, but M1886 are very rare, the piece is probably a export as no austrian acceptance proof is on blade, the BU or BB stamp is for forging maker probably i have LB or LO on same place, the serial number is for rifle, as no letter there is i assume it must be a small contract. best regards,Andy
    Ps there is any stamps on forg stud of scabbard?
    Thanks mate it has OEoverWG on stud its nice to know what the bu stands for to .Thanks again, ps looks like scabbard was originally
    bluey gray in colour overpainted black .

?

Default Re: Austrian bayonet

Apologies for lifting thread.
    I recently bought the same kind of bayonet, (1886/1888??) the same marks on the body and on the edge of the bayonet.
    Muzzle ring width is also 17mm, maybe a little more.
    Screw it seems quite pinched.
    Is it possible that one batch of bayonet produced with 17mm muzzle ring?
    I will later photographed bayonet.

Regreds
    Vex

?

Default Re: Austrian bayonet

It seems that is 1888 bayonet.
    That's my fault.
    Here's a picture:

Muzzle ring width:

Regreds Vex
    Last edited by Tiger; 09-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.