Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bayonet help please

Article about: by cornish1 Hi Richie,thanks for the info!,ive had a look on the blade by the hilt and there is definately a 5 there and what looks like a 1 but also looks a bit like a w?,unless its a scrat

Default Bayonet help please

Hi guys,i acquired this bayonet today for £14. I dont really have a clue about it,only that i know its german!. As you can see it has battle damage to it,one bullet has gone right through the sheath taking part of the blade with it.Its also been hit near the hilt,as you can see its buckled the blade and handle?I really like the cross hatching on the top of the blade,it looks very mean! . I would love some help as to whether its 1st or 2nd WW?,what name or type of bayonet it is?,which gun might it have been made to fit for?..and basically anything else you guys could tell me about it?. I`m absolutely in love with it!,fascinating and a great original battle relic. Any input would be much appreciated...many thanks again

Mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet help please   Bayonet help please  

Bayonet help please   Bayonet help please  

Bayonet help please  

Default Re: Bayonet help please

looks like a ww1 sawback bayonet german

also from what little i know they sawbacks were added by troops themselves i may be wrong but its also an earlier piece as the later ones had brass handles called einsatz bayonets coz of wood shortages or something i missed one of those at a car boot about ten yrs ago for 8 quid

panzerjaeger44........thank you! thats very interesting to hear the troops actually made the sawback on top themselves!

I really like it. sawback were also factory made.

Mark

That is a German Seitengewehr 98/05 for the Mauser 7.92mm Gewehr 98 rifle.

Manufactured between 1906 and 1918. Continued in service into WW2 era with second line troops and police.

6% of production had sawbacks - issued to pioneer troops and NCOs. The sawbacks were made at the factory not added by the troops.

Many of the sawbacks were removed towards the end of WW1.

Is there a date on the back of the blade near the hilt ie 15 ?

Certainly seen a bit of action.

Regards

Richie

my bad all i remeber was that if you were caught using one by our lads they didnt take too kindly too it and i got it the wrong way round maybe they removed the teeth themselves

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    my bad all i remeber was that if you were caught using one by our lads they didnt take too kindly too it and i got it the wrong way round maybe they removed the teeth themselves
    The sawbacks were removed as a result of a Prussian War Ministry order of 15th September 1917.

There were indeed a lot of rumours about would happpen to German troops captured with sawback bayonets.

Ironically, the British has issued sawback bayonets in the nineteenth century and that most warlike nation the Swiss also had them.

Originally the order specified the withdrawal of the sawback models - subsequently it was discovered that the saw could be ground off without imparing the effectiveness of the bayonet.

Sawback models continued in service with second line units until the end of WW1.

Regards

Richie

Hi Richie,thanks for the info!,ive had a look on the blade by the hilt and there is definately a 5 there and what looks like a 1 but also looks a bit like a w?,unless its a scratch or just my eyesight!.
    I can understand them not wanting to be caught by the allies with one of these!. The blade is 15 inches long too!. I would like to try cleaning it up possibly,could anybody reccomend anything or should i just leave it as is?

Richie,yes it is "15" just had a closer look

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast