Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet I.D.

Article about: Hi folks ,Got given this Bayonet today thats been languishing in the back of a damp garage for a number of years ,not often do i get a freebie but i have no idea of its identity or age .The

Default Bayonet I.D.

Hi folks ,Got given this Bayonet today thats been languishing in the back of a damp garage for a number of years ,not often do i get a freebie but i have no idea of its identity or age .The scabbard is made of leather and the whole ensemble has seen better days any thoughts on identity gratefully recieved.Cheers Paul
    Bayonet I.D.Bayonet I.D.Bayonet I.D.Bayonet I.D.

Possibly a Austrian 1895 bayonet
    Last edited by Australia; 04-04-2015 at 04:29 AM.

SRB
    ?

austro-hungarian (OEWG - made in austria) but scabard ??? mostly are made of metal.

Bayonets of Austria

Knife bayonet for use on the 8 mm. M1895 Mannlicher rifle, which was produced in great quantities prior to and during the First World War.

Made at Oesterreichsche Waffenfabrik-Gesellschaft (Austrian State Weapons Manufacturing Company) in Steyr. This firm is still in business today, known simply as, Steyr.

The M1895 bayonet was the first knife bayonet to feature an inverted blade profile, where cutting edge faces upward when fixed.

MMMMM Perhaps then the scabbard isn't original to the bayonet but they fit well & have been together a long time. Cheers Paul

?

I agree that it is an Austrian 1895 bayonet. The scabbard looks like it is probably for an English Pattern 1888 bayonet.

Jim

?

Thanks for the link SRB.

Hummel

?

Quote by Jim P View Post
    I agree that it is an Austrian 1895 bayonet. The scabbard looks like it is probably for an English Pattern 1888 bayonet.

Jim
    My thoughts as well

Quote by Hummel View Post
    Thanks for the link SRB.

Hummel
    Me too great site,thanks for your help Gents,Cheers Paul

?

the scabbard looks alot like a F~S Fighting knife scabbard in construction. metal tip stapled to a leather scabbard, seam in the back.

From top to bottom the scabbard is 295mm, to long imo for a fighting knife which i imagine would be a bit shorter. cheers Paul