Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet identidfication help

Article about: Greetings all, I picked up this cruciform socket bayonet at an antique flea market about a month ago for a fairly cheap investment. It caught my interest simply because I was not sure what i

Default Bayonet identidfication help

Greetings all,

I picked up this cruciform socket bayonet at an antique flea market about a month ago for a fairly cheap investment. It caught my interest simply because I was not sure what it was at the time. I just can't help myself when it comes to my habit of acquiring those bayonets that I have never seen before. I remain curious about it as I have not been able to definitively identify it yet. My readings suggested Belgian maybe? So I figure it is time to refer to the true professional collectors, that is you all.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Pally
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet identidfication help   Bayonet identidfication help  

Bayonet identidfication help   Bayonet identidfication help  

Bayonet identidfication help  

Default Re: Bayonet identidfication help

Martini-Henry ?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Try to find it here:
    BAyonet Collection Presentation

Regards
    Vedran

It looks like a Dutch 1871 Beaumont Rifle socket bayonet.
    Regards
    Jim

Since posting this a while back I have added to me reference library considerably (thanks Santa). One of the additions, "Socket Bayonets of the Great Powers", by Robert W. Shuey, has already allowed me to identify a few of the mysteries I have. I now believe that this bayonet is a Swiss model 1863 produced to fit the Remington Rolling block rifle. It may be a model 1871 for the Veterli rifle, which is apparently identical to the m1863 only a little lighter in construction and shorter. I further confirmed this when, now that I know where to look for it, I could make out a faint Swiss cross on the right side of the neck of the bayonet.

It is very similar to the Beaumont m1871 except that the sight bridge on the Beaumont is on the right (@3 o'clock) and the Swiss m1863 is on the bottom (6 o'clock position).

Thanks again for all the help guys,
    Pal