Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet Identification??

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I joined this forum just now to see if you can give me some help with Identifying this bayonet I got a long time ago from a relative. It's been bugging me to find out what k

WarFanatik
    ?

Default Bayonet Identification??

Hello gentlemen, I joined this forum just now to see if you can give me some help with Identifying this bayonet I got a long time ago from a relative. It's been bugging me to find out what kind of bayonet this is. At first I wasn't to sure what to think. I was just looking now and found out it looks very similar to some Japanese bayonets (WW2). Then I came across a French Remington M1914 Bayonet which looks EXACTLY like it...except for only two things. They state that the remington blade is 15 or so inches in length. The one I have is just over 20 inches. They also state that all together the bayonet is 20 and 3/4 inches long which is what the blade length is for mine. Number two, it has a small, extended knob at the end of the handle with a circle on it. Any ideas?? It does not have markings on it that I can tell, it seems to have an "M" mark but could be something else, it's very hard to make anything of it. The only thing readable is the serial number engraved on the cross-gaurd. "A798"

top of handle

You can see the "O" etched in this

Default Re: Bayonet Identification??

I think that is an Italian M1871 for the Vetterli rifle

Bottom of this page

Italian bayonets

Regards

Richie

?

Richie B is correct. Italian Vetterli. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

It is the Italian M1887 bayonet for the Vetterli-Vitali rifle - they came with the shorter leaf spring on the side of the grip/pommel.
    They are also known as the Modello 1871/87. It appears yours has the notch at base of the muzzle ring. I have the identical model.