Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Beat to Hell M1905 Bayonet

Article about: Hi All, I picked up this beat to hell M1905 bayonet off of a friend of a friend for \\$20. It has an early manufacture date of 1906 and is MM Springfield Armory. Clearly there are some issues

?

Default Beat to Hell M1905 Bayonet

Hi All,
    I picked up this beat to hell M1905 bayonet off of a friend of a friend for $20. It has an early manufacture date of 1906 and is MM Springfield Armory.

Clearly there are some issues with it – tip broken off, surface rust, missing grips.

I’d like to restore it somewhat by at least purchasing an authentic scabbard and wood grips. There are authentic grips on Ebay in a Buy-It-Now for $85.. Am I putting too much $ into it if I pay this for the grips, or should I hold out for an auction with less expensive grips? Does anyone know of a website that’s offering cheaper authentic wood grips? I know it shouldn’t matter what the cost is as long as I’m happy, but it makes me happier to not over pay for things!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Beat to Hell M1905 BayonetBeat to Hell M1905 BayonetBeat to Hell M1905 BayonetBeat to Hell M1905 BayonetBeat to Hell M1905 BayonetBeat to Hell M1905 Bayonet

Default Re: Beat to Hell M1905 Bayonet

I've seen cheaper grips (authentic) at military shows than on fleabay. This thing is beat to hell though. If I were you, I would buy a complete good looking one. But for twenty dollars, it was worth it.

?

Thanks, Blitz....At $20, I couldn't pass it up. Plus it had been a while since I purchased something so I was starting to get the itch!

Maybe I'll pick up some cheap plastic or bakelite grips and call it a day...The scabbards aren't overly expensive. If I go that route, I'll be in it at most $60 total. At least with the scabbard and grips I can display it without anyone being the wiser.

Eventually I'll pick up one in better shape....But first I need to buy the 1903 Springfield to go with it.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Thanks, Blitz....At $20, I couldn't pass it up. Plus it had been a while since I purchased something so I was starting to get the itch! Eventually I'll pick up one in better shape....But first I need to buy the 1903 Springfield to go with it.
    So do I. I don't have any American bayonets. I've had that itch for a while also, since school has been in. But like you said, If you get grips and a scabbard, you'll be fine..

Beat to Hell M1905 BayonetI would find some used beat up black plastic grips to match and hang it on the wall ,no scabbard is necessary

I would buy a scabbard. If the blade looks like it is, I would. It would look great cleaned up, woth grips and a scabbard.

?

That's my reason for wanting the scabbard; to hide the condition of the blade. Definitely going for the plastic grips....no need to dump more money into it. Thanks for your input, guys!

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    That's my reason for wanting the scabbard; to hide the condition of the blade. Definitely going for the plastic grips....no need to dump more money into it. Thanks for your input, guys!
    I too would 'restore' this bayonet, but would spend as little as possible.

You can clean the blade a little with steel wool, or just oil it.
    Looks like there is paint on the pommel and crossguard already,
    unless this is Parkerizing, so you could touch up the bare spots
    with flat-black rust paint. It should turn out nice............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks, Steve. I'll try using and soap and water on the rust and then oiling it first and see what I get....maybe if I'm feeling adventerous, I'll take the steel wool to it.

If it wasn't parkerized, I'd consider stripping it and blueing the blade, but I'm not one to go that far into my restorations.

Thanks again for the input!