Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British manufactured P 07 stamping whisperer required please.

Article about: Hi Gents, Could I ask If possible for a British maker P 07 stamping whisperer to decipher this one for me. I find British markings a little confusing, well a lot confusing I must admit and I

Default British manufactured P 07 stamping whisperer required please.

Hi Gents,
    Could I ask If possible for a British maker P 07 stamping whisperer to decipher this one for me. I find British markings a little confusing, well a lot confusing I must admit and I can't seem find a site that explains the positioning of the multiple marks on the ricasso in relation to what they are. It's doing my head in.
    It's a Nov 1917 build that much I can work out.

British manufactured P 07 stamping whisperer required please.British manufactured P 07 stamping whisperer required please.

Thanks in advance for your time.

All the best fella's

Dave

?

Looks like I can see a faint "Wilkinson" below the 11 17 date marking, that would be the maker. Here is the best on-line site I know of for British bayonet markings:

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

Jim

4md
    ?

possibly the maker could be sanderson as well very hard to read

Hi mate are there any markings elsewhere on the bayonet? Theres an Aussie guy on Great War Forum whos handle is Shippingsteel who knows absolutely everything about these..

Thanks for the help gents.
    Appreciated as always.

No other marks on the pommel or cross guard Wizardman.

All the best

Dave

NCA
    ?

The broad arrow mark is the government property stamp.The 'X' is the bend test mark.The small stamps with the crown and initials are inspectors marks...the other stamps are re-issue date stamps and the makers stamp looks to be slightly off center?

G'day mate,
    Thanks for that. The problem I,m having is the jumbled nature of the stampings. Were the inspection stampings at random on the ricusso for example ?

?

Every time the bayonet was returned for repair, refurbishment, or just to be inspected before reissue, it was stamped by the inspector(crown over letter over number) and usually dated. They would do this in whatever space was available trying not to overstamp previous markings. That is why they seem to be all over the place.

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Every time the bayonet was returned for repair, refurbishment, or just to be inspected before reissue, it was stamped by the inspector(crown over letter over number) and usually dated. They would do this in whatever space was available trying not to overstamp previous markings. That is why they seem to be all over the place.

Jim
    Excellent Jim. Thanks mate for that. Explains a lot to me re the ramdom stamping.
    Again Appreciated

All the best

Dave