Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet

Article about: Hi Guys, I thought that it would be good to show the nicest British bayonet (in my opinion) of WW2. Here is one from my collection, but first here is some background info about the design. T

Default British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet

Hi Guys, I thought that it would be good to show the nicest British bayonet (in my opinion) of WW2. Here is one from my collection, but first here is some background info about the design.

The No7 MkI Land service bayonet was designed in 1944. A grand total of 176,000 were produced. The design was perfected by the Wilkinson Sword Co., who produced 1,000 bayonets in 1944. Mass production was carried out by four others makers from 1945 until 1948. These four makers and their production figures were:

Birmingham Small Arms Ltd. - 25,000;
    Elkington & Co. Ltd. Birmingham - 20,000;
    Royal Ordinance Factory, Poole – 30,000;
    Royal Ordinance Factory, Newport – 100,000.

The design was intended to be a universal one for use with the rifle or the Sten MKV sub machine gun. The spike bayonet for the No4 Lee Enfield rifle was only good for killing or opening cans of condensed milk! The troops desired a bayonet which looked better and could also be used for a variety of other purposes. A new bayonet, the No5 MKI which had been designed for the No5 Jungle Carbine had proved popular and formed the basis for the design work for the No7 bayonet. The design was a clever combination of the fittings from the two. By pressing a catch the knife could also convert from a bayonet to a fighting knife. However after an accident with a .303 round hitting the muzzle ring the bayonet was only issued to troops armed with the Sten V. However, it did continue to see cerommonial service fitted to the No4 rifle.

As can be seen the blade was a "Bowie" style in bright steel. The grips were generaly a red bakelite but could also be found in black.

The throat to the scabbard had a brass insert and again made this look a quality item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet   British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet  

British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet   British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet  

British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet   British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: British No7 MkI Land Service Bayonet

I too think it was the nicest British bayonet of ww2 i dont like the look of the spike bayonets

Very nice Ade. I have always like this bayonet.
    I have one also only not so nice and missing the scabbard.
    I'll have to see if I can dig it out of storage and get a picture.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Just a note, the No.5 bayonet is the type that fits the Sterling smg, the No.7 fits the No.4 Enfield and Mk5 STEN only.

Herman
    ?

Hi Ade. I saw one No.7 with black bakelite grips as you mention but passed it by as a curiosity.... a shame, as it also appears the design was used for the EM2. Wish I had paid a bit more attention to it! The picture of the EM2 version indicates the muzzle ring is smaller and that it connects or loops over the muzzle. A bit safer from stray rounds - bet the 0.303 firer got a shock!

Herman
    ?

Hi. The scabbard for the No.5, 7 and 9 are the same, so if you hunt on eBay you might get a spare - if you're not too fussed about original bayonets with original scabbards etc. Hope that helps.

Quote by Herman View Post
    Hi. The scabbard for the No.5, 7 and 9 are the same, so if you hunt on eBay you might get a spare - if you're not too fussed about original bayonets with original scabbards etc. Hope that helps.
    I have a few (3?) spare scabbards for these outside in "the pile" of miscellaneous items.

Nice bayonet, I have one "identical" to the one shown (I have'nt checked the manufacturer yet) that an uncle carried during the Malayan campaign & a photograph of my father in Guards Full Dress in 1947 with jungle carbine & bayonet fixed.
    I've never seen one with black grips, not that I've seen many anyway.

Nice bayonet Ade,
    I have one in my collection and bought two within a week. The second is on it's way.
    I am still looking for the black handle type.

Regards

Jim

?

[QUOTE=Adrian Stevenson;46515]Hi Guys, I thought that it would be good to show the nicest British bayonet (in my opinion) of WW2. Here is one from my collection, but first here is some background info about the design.

The No7 MkI Land service bayonet was designed in 1944. A grand total of 176,000 were produced. The design was perfected by the Wilkinson Sword Co., who produced 1,000 bayonets in 1944. Mass production was carried out by four others makers from 1945 until 1948. These four makers and their production figures were:

I have one of these for sale.
    How much are these worth out of interest? it is in very good condition.

Many thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast