Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet

Article about: Hello Recent addition which I thought I would share. British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet made at Enfield marked to 16. LD which could be 16th London Regiment but I'm not sure. Scabbard i

?

Default British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet

Hello

Recent addition which I thought I would share. British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet made at Enfield marked to 16. LD which could be 16th London Regiment but I'm not sure. Scabbard is missing the frog and I can't tell whether its a P1888 Land Pattern Mk. II / Mk.II* or P1903 Land Pattern Mk. I.

Any comments welcome.

I have gone a bit bayonet crazy in the last month and will post some more recent additions when time permits.

Alex
    British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonetBritish P1888 Mk. I second type bayonetBritish P1888 Mk. I second type bayonetBritish P1888 Mk. I second type bayonetBritish P1888 Mk. I second type bayonetBritish P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet

Nice P1888-the P1903 is the blade rehandled with an SMLE type to fit on the then new rifle (or a new made blade that looks like a 12" P07 bayo).

NCA
    ?

Nice bayonet...Whats the difference between the mk2 and the mk2*?

I know theres version for the Metford and the Long lee (Hole for ramrod in the pommel)

?

Sorry for the confusion gents, the bayonet is a 1888 Mk. 1 second type for the magazine Lee-Metford.

It's the scabbard that I'm not sure on. This style of scabbard had an integral frog which has been lost to time. So I can't tell if the scabbard is actually a 1888 land pattern Mk. II or Mk. II* or a 1903 Land pattern Mk. I as the only difference appears to be the shape of the frog..

Nice piece, neat blade style (almost dagger like?), nicely aged, not something you see everyday.

?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been looking for one like this for ages but couldn't seem to find one that ticked the right boxes until this one came along. Not the cheapest one going around but worthy of the collection.

tonytdm
    ?

Hi I'm Tony new to the site been in the millitary 9 yrs in the UK and have been interested in millitaria for allot longer.

I have one of these not entirely sure of the mk as some bright spark has sanded and polished it before I got it. And the markings are very faded.

I'm open to offers if anyone is interested. It's not my field of collecting.

Not sure how to post pics as I'm new. But can email them on request.

Pattern 1888 bayonets - top to bottom:

Mk.I 1st Model
    Mk.I 2nd Model
    M.II
    Mk.III
    Mk.III South African manufacture

British P1888 Mk. I second type bayonet