Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?

Article about: On edge of blade is Mre Imp le de St Etienne Mars 1870 also an s in a circle and lower case g with a star above it in a circle. Guard has 3 circled letters, t+star, b, and an o with a star.

Default Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?

Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?

On edge of blade is Mre Imp le de St Etienne Mars 1870 also an s in a circle and lower case g with a star above it in a circle.
    Guard has 3 circled letters, t+star, b, and an o with a star. Also 16.L.II.3.194, and K 18105.
    The blade is 23" long.

Default Re: Can anyone give me any info on this bayonet?

I'm fairly sure this is a French gras bayonet but wait for others,
    cheers, Chris.

Chassepot bayo?

Think you're right Krad, the handle, among other things, is completely different to the gras!

Chassepot Sabre-baïonnette Modèle 1866. Yours was made at the State Arsenal at St Etienne in March 1870.

This was just before the start of the Franco-Prussian War.

The markings [16. L. II. 3. 194] on the crossguard are German - 16th Landwehr Infantry, Second Battalion, 3rd Company, weapon 194. The other serial number is the the original French one. The small markings you mention are French inspection stamps.

The scabbard has also been modified by the Germans with the addition of the long frog stud on the front. Your bayonet could well have been captured during the war of 1870.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

Richie

That helps a lot! All I knew was that it was a bayonet and that the writing was French.

?

One small correction the Saint Etienne was the Imperial arsenal in 1870, so certainly a piece of franco german war 1870.

Hello JM,
    The designated name Sabre Bayonet was for a very similar designed bayonet which precedes this one.
    This is the 1866 Bayonet named after the latest rifle issued to the French Army 1866 Chassepot.
    This was the very first bolt action (Needle Gun) issued to the French Army and so the bayonet which was designed for it was lighter than the previous designed 1844 Sabre Bayonet.
    If you look at some of my posts you will see the Rifle this was designed for.

A nice piece to add to a collection.

Jim