MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this?

Article about: Hi. I was given a bayonet and scabard many years ago (probably about 40years!) by one of my grandfathers and I can't remember which one (which would probably indicate WWI or WWII). So, photo

?

Default Can anyone identify this?

Hi.

I was given a bayonet and scabard many years ago (probably about 40years!) by one of my grandfathers and I can't remember which one (which would probably indicate WWI or WWII).

So, photo's attached, any information would be very welcome.

Kind Regards
    Iain

Looks like a FRENCH M/1886 Sword bayonet to me

Yes indeed. It is the wartime produced 1886/15 Lebel rifle bayonet produced (without the hooked quillon) 1915-18.

This is the standard bayonet of French soldiers during WW1 (although other types were also in use).

Welcome to the forum.

Not a 'sword' bayo though-it's a cruciform type meant for stabbing only, used into WW2 as the long infantry rifles that mounted it were still in service with French forces (Lebel and Berthier 8mm).

?

Thanks guys for the prompt reply!

French WWI hey? (that might explain why it does not look like it has been used (joke))

I fully understand thats a joke and not meant to offend, but i think its only fair to point out that The French Army lost 1,150,000 killed or missing in action in WW1, just in case you didnt know.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I fully understand thats a joke and not meant to offend, but i think its only fair to point out that The French Army lost 1,150,000 killed or missing in action in WW1, just in case you didnt know.
    👏👏👏

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Quite right to point it out, my apologies. Sometimes my sense of 'humour' is not appropriate. I consider myself well and truly zen-slapped. I will not make this mistake again.

?

French M1886/15 most real for M1907/15 Berthier rifle or M16 rifle, rilfe produced by Manufacture de Armes Tulle.b.r.Andy

In France, it's a Rosalie.

Rosalie - la baïonnette du fusil lebel

Sorry, in French, you have short models for troops from Indochina.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/