Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle

Article about: This is a bayonet made for the Canadians. It was made for the Martini Metford rifle and designated Pattern 1893 Canadian Sword Bayonet. This is a very rare bayonet owing to the few numbers p

Default Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle

This is a bayonet made for the Canadians. It was made for the Martini Metford rifle and designated Pattern 1893 Canadian Sword Bayonet.
    This is a very rare bayonet owing to the few numbers produced.
    A sample pattern was produced in early 1893 at Enfield and six rifles and bayonets sent out to Canada for approval.
    A production run of 1,000 bayonets was then made by Wilikinson of London and that was it.
    It was issued to the Royal Regiment of Canadian Infantry (RRCI) but was found to be unsatisfactory. They adopted the Lee Metford and 1888 pattern bayonet instead.
    A further order for 900 Martini Metford rifles and bayonets in 1895 was cancelled.

This bayonet is a combination of a number of bayonets. The hilt is in the style of the 1887 MkIII but with wooden grips (Leather on the 1887)
    The blade is of the 1888 pattern.

At first glance it could be mistaken for the 1903 bayonet fror the SMLE but the hilt is longer and the muzzle ring is forward of the crossguard. It also has brass rivets in the handle.

There has according to some sources been only 10 sold in the last 25-30 years which makes it a hard bayonet to find.

I picked this up on the US E-Bay for £315 about 9 months ago listed as an old german bayonet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle   Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle  

Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle   Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle  

Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle   Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle  

Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle  

Default Re: Canadian 1893 Bayonet for the Martini Metford Rifle

A rare bird indeed-lucky to get it at that price!

Cheers mate,
    I know it is cheap the last one I saw was for sale in OZ for $2,500 Aus Dollars about a year ago.
    Regards

Jim

?

Hi Jim , great stuff , old ebay still comes up trumps now and then , super bayo
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi Jim,

Joined you folks today!

Nice find and especially with the scabbard Matching Number.

Cheers
    Herb

I like it! It is hard for me to believe a person would list a bayonet as German, but not notice the English etched in. Oh well, their loss and your win!

woody6x6
    ?

great bayonet with the matching number it a bugger that its been sharpened. i have one two dated 2-92 and the number 49w on the handle but the big thing was the blade hasnt been touched and the down side was no scabbard .it great seeing another one they are hard to find