Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cavalry hatchet ??

Article about: Hi!! I have in my collection hatchet.And I have no idea what this hatchet presents. Can you help me with indentification?? Best regards, Robert

?

Default Cavalry hatchet ??

Hi!!

I have in my collection hatchet.And I have no idea what this hatchet presents.
    Can you help me with indentification??

Best regards,

Robert
    Cavalry hatchet ??Cavalry hatchet ??Cavalry hatchet ??Cavalry hatchet ??Cavalry hatchet ??

Default Re: Cavalry hatchet ??

coud it be a farriers axe? Most of the pictures I've seen, they look longer, but it still has that look about it.

?

I would not say that this is the farriers exe.This should probably be a unique piece...

I think you're right, I can't find anything that even looks close to this. The rounded blade just made me think of something that would be used in working with animals, I'm not sure why, my mind goes in strange directions at times lol

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    I think you're right, I can't find anything that even looks close to this. The rounded blade just made me think of something that would be used in working with animals, I'm not sure why, my mind goes in strange directions at times lol
    I think you might be right. It looks to me as if the blade is designed to be placed on something, and then struck with a hammer. The 'tail' has definite signs of being hit, and it's conical shape would be perfect for directing the force of a blow right into the blade.

Looks like more of a tool than a weapon to me. I'll see what I can find out, if anything.

Rob

Looks to me like Rob is on the right track. The handle material looks too soft to be used to Swing this blade to give a blow with, but more as he said, to hold it in place and strike the "tail" to drive the blade edge into something. Shingle making tool,perhaps? Although, the blade in the handle almost gives an impression of a leather working tool of some sort? Is unusual, for sure, and apparently not a hugely successful idea, as there obviously weren't tons of these things made or else it would have been easily recognized.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."