Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Article about: Here is another of my recent flea market finds for you consideration. I believe that is likely from the US civil war. My research indicates that it is likely a German copy of the French 1842

Default Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Here is another of my recent flea market finds for you consideration. I believe that is likely from the US civil war. My research indicates that it is likely a German copy of the French 1842 bayonet. The PDL marking indicates that it was a German import made by Paul D Luneschloss of Solingen. I know that some of these were imported by the union in 1862 from the reference "European Bayonets of the American Civil War", by Noe and Serbaroli. Nice book btw.

What I am curious about is the other markings. Anyone have any knowledge about the crowned R? Or maybe the "AL" next to the four digit number? I would just love to be able to prove that stands for Alabama!

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Had some trouble but here are the pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3079 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	543104   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1515 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	543105  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1011 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	543106   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	323 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	543107  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	464 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	543108  

The last picture shows an "AL" over the crowned R with 4 digits to the right of that.

?

It is a German made yatagan style sword bayonet for Belgian rifles imported to both sides during the American civil war. The al on the grip is not for Alabama as far as I know.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It is a German made yatagan style sword bayonet for Belgian rifles imported to both sides during the American civil war...
    I would add that this example should be a French model 1842 bayo produced by germans for export.