Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Article about: Here is another of my recent flea market finds for you consideration. I believe that is likely from the US civil war. My research indicates that it is likely a German copy of the French 1842

Default Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Here is another of my recent flea market finds for you consideration. I believe that is likely from the US civil war. My research indicates that it is likely a German copy of the French 1842 bayonet. The PDL marking indicates that it was a German import made by Paul D Luneschloss of Solingen. I know that some of these were imported by the union in 1862 from the reference "European Bayonets of the American Civil War", by Noe and Serbaroli. Nice book btw.

What I am curious about is the other markings. Anyone have any knowledge about the crowned R? Or maybe the "AL" next to the four digit number? I would just love to be able to prove that stands for Alabama!

Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Civil war bayonet, confederate?

Had some trouble but here are the pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Civil war bayonet, confederate?   Civil war bayonet, confederate?  

Civil war bayonet, confederate?   Civil war bayonet, confederate?  

Civil war bayonet, confederate?  

The last picture shows an "AL" over the crowned R with 4 digits to the right of that.

?

It is a German made yatagan style sword bayonet for Belgian rifles imported to both sides during the American civil war. The al on the grip is not for Alabama as far as I know.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It is a German made yatagan style sword bayonet for Belgian rifles imported to both sides during the American civil war...
    I would add that this example should be a French model 1842 bayo produced by germans for export.