Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

danish M62 bayo´s

Article about: Hi ! Got this two danish M62 bayonets. As far as I know the danish M62 bayonet was used as a field knife, ("skyttegravskniv M62"), actually, not in it´s original function as a bayo

Default danish M62 bayo´s

danish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´s

Hi !

Got this two danish M62 bayonets.
    As far as I know the danish M62 bayonet was used as a field knife, ("skyttegravskniv M62"), actually, not in it´s original function as a bayonet.
    Anybody can confirm ?

Other sources say, this bayonets never really were in use in the Royal Danish Army and they´re only "sleeping" in Arsenals there ...

Thx. in advance,

R.

?

Default Re: danish M62 bayo´s

Quote by Reibert View Post
    As far as I know the danish M62 bayonet was used as a field knife, ("skyttegravskniv M62"), actually, not in it´s original function as a bayonet.
    Anybody can confirm ?

R.
    You are spot on. Although the Skyttegravskniv M/62 could be mounted on the Garand, it was never used as such. It was issued to personnel who was not issued the Garand and used as a utility knife.
    BTW 'Skyttegravskniv' means trench knife.

When the Danes had the Garand, they used a Garand bayonet for it.
    (Proper Garand bayonet IMO. One of my favourites, if not in fact the favourite. I was presented with a mint one of these when I was a kid and that kick started my interest in bayonets)

Then they went to the G3/M75 and used the German bayonet for that.
    (Crappy German G3/M75 bayonet. Rattling disgusting ugly thing IMO: I have several and they are equally nasty although brand new)

Later the M95/M96 rifles was bought from Diemaco in Canada (now Colt Canada) and for the longest time no bayonet was issued to the regular army (although British coalition partners use it in Astan. The foe there is a not a big fan of cold steel).
    The only ones with a bayonet were the Royal Guard. They at least looked the part, when they had the Garand with bayonet.
    Partly managed to pull it off with the G3/M75, but now have the same rifles as the regular army. Why at least the Royal Guard did not retain the Garand for guard/parade purposes, I can not fathom. It was the last of the sharp looking rifles for display. They could have trained with both IMO, but I guess multi-tasking was not in the cards for the royal guards.

How about this for mish-mash; Bear skin headwear, antiquated uniform jacket, camo trousers, 556 rifle adopted in the nineties and a sabre model 1854*

*The Danish sabre was captured from the Prussians in the war of 1848.
    The Prussians had in turn captured it from Napoleon and the French forces after Waterloo in 1815.
    You need this one for your collection

Last edited by Scout; 03-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Some more informations rgd. the danish M62, (Thx. a lot, H. ! )

It was issued to the machine gun crews and other personel wich did not have a Garand M1, as a field/fighting knife ( that was in the home guard).
    It was also issued to army personel as a fighting knife, but never used with the Garand M1.
    The Danish army bought 32300 of this bayonet.
    Here's the Danish army's description from april 1962: "Short knifebayonet of american origin for use in close combat, can be mounted on the 7,62mm G M/50 (Garand)"

Quote by Scout View Post
    You are spot on. Although the Skyttegravskniv M/62 could be mounted on the Garand, it was never used as such. It was issued to personnel who was not issued the Garand and used as a utility knife.
    BTW 'Skyttegravskniv' means trench knife.

When the Danes had the Garand, they used a Garand bayonet for it.
    (Proper Garand bayonet IMO. One of my favourites, if not in fact the favourite. I was presented with a mint one of these when I was a kid and that kick started my interest in bayonets)

Then they went to the G3/M75 and used the German bayonet for that.
    (Crappy German G3/M75 bayonet. Rattling disgusting ugly thing IMO: I have several and they are equally nasty although brand new)

Later the M95/M96 rifles was bought from Diemaco in Canada (now Colt Canada) and for the longest time no bayonet was issued to the regular army (although British coalition partners use it in Astan. The foe there is a not a big fan of cold steel).
    The only ones with a bayonet were the Royal Guard. They at least looked the part, when they had the Garand with bayonet.
    Partly managed to pull it off with the G3/M75, but now have the same rifles as the regular army. Why at least the Royal Guard did not retain the Garand for guard/parade purposes, I can not fathom. It was the last of the sharp looking rifles for display. They could have trained with both IMO, but I guess multi-tasking was not in the cards for the royal guards.

How about this for mish-mash; Bear skin headwear, antiquated uniform jacket, camo trousers, 556 rifle adopted in the nineties and a sabre model 1854*

*The Danish sabre was captured from the Prussians in the war of 1848.
    The Prussians had in turn captured it from Napoleon and the French forces after Waterloo in 1815.
    You need this one for your collection

I wouldn't call the G3/M75 "Crappy German G3/M75 bayonet. Rattling disgusting ugly thing".
    I had one issued when I started in the Danish army in 1996 and it is actually a well made construction. (got a couple in my collection know)
    Ugly.... Yes
    By the way, the one in your picture, is actually a commercial made knife. Even though it is stamped HMAK, it was never in the Danish army....According to F. Løschall. Here's a pic of the correct M/75.
    Best
    Henrik
    Attached Images Attached Images danish M62 bayo´s 
    Last edited by hbhansen; 04-13-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Bad pic...
    Here are a couple of my own. The early type including adapter. Both models where issued in the army...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture danish M62 bayo´s   danish M62 bayo´s  

?

I have several of the real deal too. Nasty disgusting things. Ungainly and ugly
    So far removed from a real bayonet like the M62 as possible.

Quote by Scout View Post
    I have several of the real deal too. Nasty disgusting things. Ungainly and ugly
    So far removed from a real bayonet like the M62 as possible.
    I think it is a matter of oppinion

The Skyttegravskniv M/62 was manufactured for the danish Army by E.u.F. HÖRSTER, Solingen, ("Early Pattern"), and, by Eickhorn, Solingen, ("later version").

I was showin´ the "Early Version", manufactured by HÖRSTER

danish "long bladed" assault rifle bayonet

Here´s the, later, Eickhorn version.

HMAK stands for:
    Hærens Materiel Kommando
    danish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´sdanish M62 bayo´s
    The hooks for the webbing belt are missing here ...