Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.

Article about: Greetings all, This thread is for sharing your bayonet, knife, sword, or at least blade inspired decorative pieces (If there’s no blade in the piece’s design, please do not post your “trench

Default Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.

Greetings all,

This thread is for sharing your bayonet, knife, sword, or at least blade inspired decorative pieces (If there’s no blade in the piece’s design, please do not post your “trench art” here). It would seem with socket bayonets being largely replaced in the late 1800s various firms took these surplus weapons and turned them into home décor for the man caves of yesteryear. Firms like the U.S. based Bannerman's company took these surplused weapons and designed various patriotic/military inspired sprays, andirons, clocks, coat hangers, and sconces; some designs with a dozen plus blades incorporated within them. Most that I have seen and been lucky enough to acquire are actually of French or Belgian origin. Below are some scans from the 1927 and 1940 Bannerman’s catalogs.

I have always possessed a soft spot for these pieces and when done well, they really are quite impressive. So enough banter, share your examples!

Regards,

Lance

Double click on pictures to enlarge.

Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.

?

Very cool items

Greetings all,

I forgot one heavy one.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

?

Bannermans' always had some really cool stuff, pretty ingenious to take mostly worthless, at the time, surplus and turn it into something like this. While I don't have any myself, I would if I came across it. Here is a coat hanger that I found somewhere over the years.

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Decorative bayonet & other blade inspired “man cave” décor.  

Default New arrivals.

Greetings all,

Some new variants that arrived yesterday.

Regards,

Lance

Double click picture to enlarge.

?

Very nice Lance! Do you know who commissioned these pieces? If it was Bannermans, I had no idea they had anything so elaborate!

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Very nice Lance! Do you know who commissioned these pieces? If it was Bannermans, I had no idea they had anything so elaborate!

Jim
    Greetings Jim,

I am not familiar with any of the European (primarily, I’ve encountered pieces of French & Belgian origin) tradesmen/businesses, which were executing these pieces. As such, I do not know of any specific Euro-companies. There are quite a few differing patterns and I have seen far more unique/elaborate pieces than I currently possess. I was hoping to learn more myself by posting these from folks more familiar with their history than I am.

I have viewed quite a few similarly constructed pieces, which causes me to believe this was some sort of cottage/regional industry similar to post WWI bulk manufactured trench art. I think they are neat and add a little something extra when displayed with other militaria. When displayed alone though, they appear like Addams’ Family set dressing.

Regards,

Lance

Greetings all,

My latest acquisitions, a tad rusty but that gives the set some character. I was surprised the bullets and chains survived intact all of these years.

Cheers,

Lance

Double click on photo to enlarge.

Default French Gras Bayonet Fireplace's Set.

Greetings all,

My latest acquisition. Now, I just need to get a fireplace

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

?

I'm glad this got returned to the top. Very nice and interesting to see these turned in to Decorative pieces.
    I have a foot locker full of bayo's, But have never had a chance to purchase this type of decoration.
    Thanks for sharing those images.
    I like the Gras fire place set!!
    Could use that on my Ben Franklin stove!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast