Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dug up socket bayonet

Article about: well its been a while, apoligies as i had to go an get the pics myself its about 1.5 foot tall and across the socket about 3 cm. Also that is green red and blue paint on there, he said he pa

?

Default Dug up socket bayonet

hello a friend dug this up in his back yard in ireland, and he asked me to find out what it is any help appreciated

thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dug up socket bayonet   Dug up socket bayonet  

Dug up socket bayonet  

Default re: Dug up socket bayonet

Look's like a 1853 Enfield bayonet, but I am not sure.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Its a British socket bayonet- hit google images and put in British socket bayonet to get the exact pattern

Chees

Perce

?

thanks Eric

just had a look and its a pretty good match only its missing the metal tightener but thats probably rusted away if it was made in 1853

Great find! I would be spending a bit more time with that friend and his yard! A metal detector would help things along as well ...Glenn

- - Updated - -

?

Glenn i may well do so nothing to loose eh i might even find the rifle to go with it

This is an earlier bayonet than the 1853 and a nice find.
    I cannot see from the photos but the rear of the socket has what is called a strengthening ring around the opening.
    The earlier socket bayonets had the problem of securing the weapon to the musket without it being removed by an enemy,they simply went on via a zig-zag mortise slot.
    As time went on attempts were made to secure it with a catch one of the early types was the Hanoverian,copied from the Prussians. Slightly later was the Lovell Catch which was located under the muzzle and the bayonet had a small protrusion around the strengthening ring to engage it. This was introduced around 1842 for the P42 Musket.

It could be one of those that fit it or one of the many variations of that period to come from Ireland issued to Militias etc.

Can you send me some more photos?

Regards

Jim

?

Hello Jim

Yes i will ask him to send me some more close up pics of the opening etc. and post them as soon as i get them.

Also im going to invest in a metal detector see if there is anything else worth finding

?

Whats the length of the bayonet, and roughly the bore size of the socket ?

Gary J.

?

Hello Gary i will ask him that aswell and get back as soon as he does. again thanks for the interest guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast