Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

French "M 1916" "Avenger"

Article about: Hi, mates ! Wanna show you a french combat knife, aka, "Le Vengeur de 1870" This "Couteau Poignard Mle 1916" was in military use in the French Army till 1939. In 1940, af

congrats !

IMO a "must have" in every combat knife collection !

HgF
    ?

Suddenly I see a risk of become the bad guy of this forum. The french knife "The revenge of 1870" have never been used by the Swedish army, neither issue nor private purchase. It's an old misconception, now spread by Internet.

Quote by HgF View Post
    Suddenly I see a risk of become the bad guy of this forum. The french knife "The revenge of 1870" have never been used by the Swedish army, neither issue nor private purchase. It's an old misconception, now spread by Internet.
    Found this:
    Swedish military knives

Are the informations at this site false ?

Thx. in advance,

R.

?

Hello HgF.

I guess you are the same HgF as on the norwegian forum. ;-)

I have no doubt that O. Janson is correct. And when Holmback havent corrected him , so....

HgF
    ?

Well - most information on site you are referring to is god and correct, but many details are wishful thinking or guessing. I don't think author have any experience or knowledge of scientific methods which perhaps influence the quality of the site.
    Anyhow - author is very diligent and his site is a gigantic project.
    I have god information from the original source about the French "Revenge 1870"- knife, and how it was used on the road towards a Swedish field knife

?

Please share it with us then

Hello, HgF !

Fact is, that huge stocks of fighting knives were found after the war in Norway by the Allies.
    Most of the knives were fighting knives, made by Lauterjung, the, so called "PUMA-fighting knive", also, many "Avengers", (also numbers of the dutch "Stormdolk" !).

A lot of this knives remained in the scandinavian region and for me it´s possible, that the Army´s there used former Wehrmacht combat knives for their own, "young", armed forces in the early days.

Best regards,

R.

HgF
    ?

Hallo - first - Yes PREST1 I´am the same HgF as on Samlerforum.net.

Yes Reibert - that sell out from Norwegian stocks hit the Swedish market around 1978-80. However - I am not absolute sure of the year in this case. I could be little later or little earlier - but around 1980. I bought two or tree of each of them, which I kept for ten-fifteen years. But this sell out affected only the collectors market and has nothing to do with the fighting knife committee during the first half of the 1950´s.

The knife committee used the "Avengers 1870"-knife as well as a few other international fighting- and trench knives for demonstration purpose among the knife-ignorant committee members. A small number of the demonstration knives was from committee member, weapons collector and fighter in two wars during 2WW (winter war Finland and german occupation of Norway) - kapten Gösta Benckert.

I had a letter correspondence as well as frequent meetings with Gösta Benckert during the 1970´s and 80´s, with plenty of discussions concerning this knife issue. (Gösta Benckert died 1990)

Collectors in Sweden including my self sometimes little careless use the word "trail model" about the "avenger 1870", sometimes is the word "evaluated" used. I think "evaluated" is more correct. The Benckert-"avenger 1870" - the one and only such knife used as a guest in the Swedish army - can be inspected at Armémuseum in Stockholm: nr 90 542. (Try Internet)

appellation officielle
    couteau-poignard modčle 1916. Photo in my book
    French knives army 1914 1918
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Livre poignards français final_Page_58.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	972173

Hello,
    I do own a very very little collection of french artefacts, only a handful of significative items that represent in my eyes the french army of the first half of the previous century, of which "Le Vengeur de 1870" (that name is so cool) has a central position...with both Adrian helmets (M15 and M26), a képi and a few "pattes de collet"....
    Thanks

Name:	P1000487.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	972177

Name:	P1000491.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	972178
    PREUSSENS GLORIA