Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Butcher Bayonet WW1

Article about: Hello. I am new to this forum and to this world of bayonets and i need some help from you. I've recently bought a german butcher bayonet WW1 F. Koeller & Co. Chligs Solingen.I want to as

Default German Butcher Bayonet WW1

Hello. I am new to this forum and to this world of bayonets and i need some help from you. I've recently bought a german butcher bayonet WW1 F. Koeller & Co. Chligs Solingen.I want to ask you 5 things:
    1)The seller told me that he cleaned the wooden grips from the handle and the screws with a rotative brush and that's why they look so clean and i want to know from you if the screws and the wooden grips are the original one(Anyway i think they are because they still look old)
    2)I want to know if it is rare
    3)I want to know if it was used for killing people in war
    4)I want to know the approximatively price of it(It doesn't have scabbard..)
    5)Your final opinion of this piece
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Butcher Bayonet WW1   German Butcher Bayonet WW1  

German Butcher Bayonet WW1   German Butcher Bayonet WW1  

1) You could tell the seller, it's never a good idea to clean bayonets with rotative brushes as that removes patina and collectors like patina. Thought in this case it was mainly rust by the look of it.
    2) Not rare, though that maker not as common.
    3) Yes, WW1 and used between wars.
    4) Without a scabbard you could probably halve the value.
    5) There are much better S98/05 available, save a bit more money first and go for something complete and in better condition. This one is fair condition at best.
    Happy hunting!

Thanks for reply and in final what is a approximatively price?And also are the grips original?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    1) You could tell the seller, it's never a good idea to clean bayonets with rotative brushes as that removes patina and collectors like patina. Thought in this case it was mainly rust by the look of it.
    2) Not rare, though that maker not as common.
    3) Yes, WW1 and used between wars.
    4) Without a scabbard you could probably halve the value.
    5) There are much better S98/05 available, save a bit more money first and go for something complete and in better condition. This one is fair condition at best.
    Happy hunting!
    Sorry for the spam , but i clicked reply instead of quote.. i am new to the forum sorry.
    Thanks for reply and in final what is a approximatively price?
    And also are the grips original?

The grips are not original, they are in the wrong wood, fit poorly and should have grooves cut in them. The value of this bayonet is very low.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Butcher Bayonet WW1   German Butcher Bayonet WW1  

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    The grips are not original, they are in the wrong wood, fit poorly and should have grooves cut in them. The value of this bayonet is very low.
    Value?

We do not provide pricing for items, you can get some ideas on prices by going to some auction sites...

Smitty

ok waiting for other opinions

It could be a post WW1 Polish re issue, they had the grooved German grips replaced with smooth ones. They tended to have the letter P engraved on the blade too.

Also i discovered now a mark W/17 and on the pommel a mark "B" with a crown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast