Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW1 ersatz bayo

Article about: Anyone sharp one this one? is it common and worth anything? René

Default German WW1 ersatz bayo

Anyone sharp one this one? is it common?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: German WW1 ersatz bayo

Hi Ren, certainly worth something, as these are always sought after. I have no ideas on price and rarity though as it is not my area.

I was at a show some weeks ago and a Lady and Gent showed me a late war ersatz bayonet only (no scabbard) it was the type made simply from one peice of steel, pressed and bent into shape. It was brought home by her Dad. It had been used to chop sticks for firewood after the war. They were going to sell it and give the money to the "Help for Heroes" servicemans charity, a very good cause. I wrote down exactly what it was for them and advised a minimum figure to accept for it at £50. This was just an educated guess on my part, but I get not want them to get ripped off, especially as they were donating the proceeds to charity. I told them not to sell at the show but do some online research once they got home. I hope they made good money for it. I wouldn't have minded it myself but I just did not know the price and I really should not digress into WW1!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi René, it is not a common bayonet and in a reasonable good condition. It sure is worth something more than an ordinary bayonet... If you want to sell it, I'm interested in buying it from you...

Adler

?

Hi- I have never seen a WW1 ersatz bayonet made like this one, can’t tell from your photo, dose it have a slot cut out for the rifle lug? Any marks?

Tony Carter in his book classifies this one as EB55 with a rarity rating of 8/11 -defined as "Very rare and hard to find".

Some unresolved discussion as to this being an experimental model rather than ersatz.

Certainly issued to front line troops - there is a photo in the book of a soldier with one of these bayonets - taken in 1916.

Worth quite a lot of money I would suspect - very unusual to see one.

Ersatz Bayonets

Hope this helps.

Richie

Quote by Georg View Post
    Hi- I have never seen a WW1 ersatz bayonet made like this one, can’t tell from your photo, dose it have a slot cut out for the rifle lug? Any marks?
    Yes It does have a lug on it and is totally unmarked

René

Thank You Kindly for everybody's input!
    I guess I was lucky to get this one as I found it at a local flea market for AU$100 and at that time I was dicing up if that was too much to part with 12 years ago!

René

René

you are the proud owner of a rare erzats bayonet.
    This one was made as early as 1914 and the material as well as craftmanship are of a nice quality.
    Even the wooden inlay (which was removed by the later ones) is present.
    These bayonets were too expencive and only a few 1000 were ever made.
    Pice in this condition € 500.

Jean

Quote by Redgemak View Post
    René

you are the proud owner of a rare erzats bayonet.
    This one was made as early as 1914 and the material as well as craftmanship are of a nice quality.
    Even the wooden inlay (which was removed by the later ones) is present.
    These bayonets were too expencive and only a few 1000 were ever made.
    Pice in this condition € 500.

Jean
    Thanks Jean

?

Nice Score Rene.
    I've only see that one in pic's and always thought how nice they look with the wood inlay handle.SWEEEET

Does it have any marking's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast