Become our sponsor and display your banner here

HD&S M1917 Trench Knife

Article about: Hi all. I recently acquired a HD&S M1917 trench knife. While there is loads of information out there on the LF&C manufactured version, there's not much on the HD&S version. I kno

?

Default HD&S M1917 Trench Knife

Hi all. I recently acquired a HD&S M1917 trench knife. While there is loads of information out there on the LF&C manufactured version, there's not much on the HD&S version. I know Disston came up with original design, but that's about it.

Would anyone know the rarity of this version? I've read elsewhere that the HD&S is not as common. I acquired it through my manager along with some other items that belonged to his Grandfather. He was drafted towards the tail end of WWI however was never sent overseas.

If anyone could give me some information (value, rarity, etc.) I would appreciate it. By the way, this is one frightening weapon! Would have hated to been at the business end of it while in a trench!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.JPG 
Views:	3341 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	97691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21.JPG 
Views:	325 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	97692  

Default Re: HD&S M1917 Trench Knife

yuengling325, Sorry I have no information regarding your knife, I just wanted to comment on how nice your knife is. I just recently handled one of these knives, They are beyond impressive. I too would NOT want to be on the business end of one of these things. Sorry I couldn't help, but it is a beautiful (frightening) knife.

Mike

?

Thanks, Mike! And no need to appologize. I appreciate the comment!

Had I found it by itself somehwere, I would have thought it was a repro because of the condition. Knowing the history behind the person who the item belonged too originally definitely helps to boost the confidence and makes the item even more interesting than it already is!

Maybe I can help a little bit...(H.D.&S) Henry Disston and Son of Philadelphia, PA... They are a old US tool Manufacturing company predating the US Civil War...A lot of their tools etc, are on display at the Davistown Museun in Pa... The Company is apparentely still in business under the name of Disston Precision Tools in Philly.. Here is a 800 number for them 1 800 328-1007... I hope this helps some and if you call let me know what they have to say...By the way very nice 1917 Knuckle Duster Trench Knife...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...