Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with markings on German bayonet

Article about: Greetings, I purchased this bayonet today and I need help identifying the markings. I believe this is a post 1938 German K98 based upon the waffenampt stamps (spread winged eagle). But I am

Default Help with markings on German bayonet

Greetings,

I purchased this bayonet today and I need help identifying the markings. I believe this is a post 1938 German K98 based upon the waffenampt stamps (spread winged eagle). But I am not certain about the coded serial number. I know that one can sometaimes date and identify the manufacturer based upon the serial number. Any help there would be appreciated.

Furthermore the markings on the left ricasso are unknown to me... any ideas?

The frog is dated 1937. Could the waffenampt have been added later?

Lastly, I paid around $130... How'd I do? I have a sinking feeling I may have overpaid... but note the matching serial numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help

pics to follow...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with markings on German bayonet   Help with markings on German bayonet  

Help with markings on German bayonet   Help with markings on German bayonet  

Help with markings on German bayonet   Help with markings on German bayonet  

Default Re: Help with markings on German bayonet

'CLC 44' is the manufacturers war-time code and date: 'Richard Abr. Herder, Solingen, 1944'.

As I recall, the 'C' prefix is for the third 'batch' of 10,000 which Herder produced - essentially
    the 35,627th bayonet manufactured.

K98 bayonets usually had bakelite grip panels during the war period, but a couple of
    companies returned to the earlier style wood grips to augment supply shortages.

I think you did OK price wise for a matched set with a 'mounted' style frog. Although it is
    a bit rough and rusted, it can be lightly oiled to clean up some of the rusted areas and
    prevent further accumulation. I suppose some of these frogs have had the retaining
    straps cut off because they were broken such as this one is..............
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-08-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Help with markings on German bayonet

Couldn't tell that those characters were letter/numbers but I can see it now that you point it out for me. Thanks for the information.