Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

help needed

Article about: hi all ,this is the first time ive posted here and Im looking for some help, recently my sister asked if I would help clear some of my late brother in laws stuff for her when we came across

tamhem1
    ?

Default help needed

hi all ,this is the first time ive posted here and Im looking for some help, recently my sister asked if I would help clear some of my late brother in laws stuff for her when we came across this bayonet /sword ,my sister vaguely remembers my brother in law bringing it home but thought he had disposed of it, any way with some browsing of the net I think I have identified it as a 1879 british artillery sawback bayonet (although I will probably be wrong ),I hope that someone can identify it and i do apologise for the poor photographs (camera phone),the blade is 65cms long from hilt to tip and I have copied some of the markings on it ,my sister insisted that I put in a skip but if its worth anything I would like her to get some cash for it ,so if anyone knows how much it might be worth I would appreciate it ,I may try some of the auctioneers in glasgow for any help if no one here can help ,thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture help needed   help needed  

Default Re: help needed

Hello-you're correct-pattern 1879 MkI bayonet for the Martini Henry Artillery carbine-this is a fairly rare model (compared to the socket bayo for the long rifle-see the movie 'Zulu')-don't throw it away! The leather scabbard is valuable by itself as leather rarely lasts for over a century in use.

PS- My father was born in Glasgow in 1919, moved to WA as a toddler with his family in the early 1920s.

PPS-markings are 'Crown over E 12'=made at Enfield Royal Small Arms Factory, 'Broad Arrow over WD'= War Department acceptance mark, other marks appear to be downgrade stamps/sale marks (partial strikes or worn to partial appearance). About 65,000 made 1879-1890 (almost all before 1885).
    Last edited by lithgow; 02-21-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Adding PS